Featured Fine Satsuma Cup and Saucer - Comments

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Mar 26, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

This is from the reseller's treasures. It has lost it's handle, so it has no monetary value, but it is quite detailed, so I was thinking it was made by real artists. I have turned it so the flaw is not visible playing like it was originally handle less :) Does anyone have ideas about it's origin? The cup is 2 1/4 inches tall and the saucer 41/2 inches in diameter. Both cup and saucer match but the marks are different. Any help great appreciated.

IMG_9964.JPG IMG_9962.JPG IMG_9955.JPG IMG_9956.JPG IMG_9953.JPG IMG_9943.jpg IMG_9944.JPG IMG_9946.JPG IMG_9958.JPG IMG_9947.JPG

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

First mark reading down, right column 'Satsuma' left column 'Daimyo made'

Second mark top three characters reading right to left 'Great Japan'. Right column reading down 'Satsuma', middle column 'Daimyo made'

So they are the same, just a different mark

Left column 'painted by' - still working on the artist name for you.

3. KikoBlueEyes

Fabulous. I’ll start looking for Diamyo. Thank you very much.

John Brassey, pearlsnblume and Ce BCA like this.
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Only 50/50 on the painter, but it may be Shozan. It is written in many different ways, and was a common name. It is also seen on Satsuma from various makers, so there were likely many 'Shozan's'

Forgot the basics - Japanese Satsuma of course, late 19th century. Nicely painted, definitely original Meiji period.

5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

6. KikoBlueEyes

Wonderful information. I got lost in the search which happens when I don’t have any basis. I am so happy. It adds such great pleasure to the experience of owning this set Not only to enjoy its beauty but to understand its place in time. Thank you so much!

Potteryplease and Ce BCA like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

patd8643, komokwa and Ce BCA like this.
  8. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Kiko, broken handle or not, the work on that set is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Ce BCA and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

It is glorious, isn't it? I'm glad you liked it.

Ce BCA likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted