Featured Finesse Originals Roman Soldiers and Horses Gold Plated

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lyndsay Privett, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Lyndsay Privett

Lyndsay Privett New Member

Hey guys. I found this amazing sculpture at the DI for 7 bucks years ago. I love the story it tells. However, I haven't been able to find any information at all on it. It's made by FINESSE ORIGINALS.

It has 4 soldiers all on horses. I believe it's fiberglass or maybe even plaster and plated with gold.

Any information would be helpful. Thanks so much! ! 2015-11-18 20.35.24.jpg Screenshot_2015-11-18-20-39-45.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    Figtree3, KSW and KingofThings like this.
  2. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Searching auctions records it appears these distressed fiberglass molded pieces were made in the 1970s and sell in the $400-100 range. Mirrors and larger pieces sell in the upper range.

3. Lyndsay Privett

Thank you so much for taking the time to check it out!

KSW and KingofThings like this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Wow!!!
    What's a DI???

5. Lyndsay Privett

Like a Salvation Army, but run by the LDS church :) Thanks. I was so happy to Find it. It sure was tough to lug it through the store with my Kids :)

Pattywithay and KingofThings like this.
  6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

OH!!!
    Deseret Industries!!!
    I have one fairly close but haven't been in there in a while.......
    Hmmmmm... ;)
    Welcome! :)

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

You know, I think those are Greek helmets, not Roman.

8. Lyndsay Privett

That is actually very helpful. Thank you!

9. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

According to the following website:

"In 1965 a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for FINESSE ORIGINALS. This trademark was owned by FINESSE DISPLAYS, INC. for three dimensional wall decorations and wall sculptures. The trademark expired in 1985.

These were popular during the 60's and 70's. They are original hand poured fiberglass mounted on a faux wall."
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100723184857AAO636o
    Here is the trademark:
    http://www.trademarkia.com/finesse-originals-72209922.html
    https://trademarks.justia.com/722/09/finesse-originals-72209922.html

Bev is right on Greek helmets. Here is one on WorthPoint that speaks of Greek warriors:
    http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/large-wall-greek-horses-war-sculpture-finesse

--- Susan

10. Jackpk

Jackpk New Member

This large releif hung in my parents living room they purchased it in and around 1964 ....for a kid into the clash of the Titans and sword fights, battles I had the best artwork in the neighborhood. Recall it was fiberglass layered with with gold leaf and burnt umber finish. Went well with their I dream of Jeanie end table lamps and Mercury holding medusas head jumping on Pegasus brass sculpture. I turned out ok only portraits and landscapes on my walls....now as I think about it I'm pretty stoic compared to my parents lol

KikoBlueEyes and Messilane like this.
  11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

^^^ This^^^ amuses me. Wish I had grown up in a house like that :cool:

12. charles williams

charles williams New Member

Just bought this with the 4 Greek Horsemen. I was not sure if they were Greek or Roman now I believe they are Greek. Glad they are Greek since I became interested in the "Parthenon Friezes" (carved on the Parthenon in 450(?) BC ) aka "the Elgin Marbles" that were taken from the Parthenon in Athens Greece in the early 1800s by Lord Elgin and are now in the British Museum that refuses to return them to Greece. Plaster reproductions were made of the original marble Parthenon friezes in the early 1900s and sold for display in schools and other institutions. The two friezes I acquired were in the 1902 Oshkosh high school auditorium and salvaged when the school was torn down in the 1960s.

13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

should be LSD. or not ?

anundverkaufen likes this.
  14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

LDS = Latter-Day Saints. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Sometimes called Mormons, although that is not their official name.

And this is a very very old thread! The original poster has not been back since November 2015.

16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

so sorry, only knew that Mormons is a church. as I was brought up in viewing distance of Albert Hofmann's lab that's what I instinctively presumed.

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thanks, @Fid . I just like to explain things. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted