Fireplace mantel advice..

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by 2unique, Feb 19, 2017.

1. 2unique

2unique New Member

Hi! I have had this mantel for 15 years and discovered there is alot of history to it about 10 years ago.. The help/advice I needed is it's a C. B. Atkin mantel from Knoxville, TN. We found documents behind the mirror with newspaper from 1891 and a letter along with a stamp on the back from 1895! So what I know is it's 121 yrs old and in great condition, I am the 3rd owner of it. I have read all about the company and the Atkin family. I can't find the info to get the exact model of it, so I am not sure how to find the value of it. Thanks in advance for any input. This is my 1st post so hopefully I'm adding the pics correctly! I just found the pic of the letter trying to upload it now, file is to large.
    ~
    ~

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    KingofThings likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It's lovely.
    Finding a value on it will depend on where you are , & if any similar items have been sold & documented in the recent past.
    That , or having it seen by a furniture expert who's up on this style of mantle.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. 2unique

2unique New Member

Thank you, I'm in Alabama.. Birmingham is the closest big city to me. I'm just not sure who to call or trust or where to start for that matter since I have never really checked on anything like this before. I am a newbie at this part. :wacky:

KingofThings likes this.
  4. komokwa

Others will be along to add their comments......& I'm sure we can get you pointed in the right direction.

KingofThings and 2unique like this.
  5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I'd call it a fire surround and overmantel. You might find more comparables using the correct spelling of mantel. A mantle is a lady's cape.

Architectural salvage yards are the sort of places you'd find similar. The demand is likely to be fairly limited so I'd not expect more than $100-$200.

I do not think the maker is all that important, it is the look people pay for. If it is in your house, why do you want to get rid of it. In place, it counts as a 'period feature to help sell the house, and would be more valuable in situ than sold apart.

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  6. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

correct, but seldom used terms here in the States. They just lump the whole and call it a mantel most of the time. Technically the word "mantel" only applies to the shelf portion, but you know the Americans............................

KingofThings likes this.
  7. komokwa

Hahaha!!!
    "A mantle is a lady's cape."

I was on the Lady's Cape thread...& my brain was locked in.......I didn't notice..:happy:

KingofThings likes this.
  8. 2unique

2unique New Member

Thanks I tried to fix the spelling. But I don't want to get rid of the mantel. I would like to find the value of it however for insurance purposes.i told my homeowners agent about it and she suggested I try to find a value for it. I love it and I love to research some of the things I find. This one just has history to it, in my opinion and it makes a great conversation piece.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Your insurance probably has a minimum value for line items (high value items) so it is probably subjectto the same rules as your general house contents with an overall contents valuation and a separate buildings valuation. Photos of the contents should be more than enough in case of some insured event.

Only your insurance agent can say for sure what approach they use.

2unique and KingofThings like this.
  10. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Make your photos 480x640 then use the full image button for up to 10 per post.

2unique likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted