Flash a UV light on the new purchases advise, transparent stones turn pink in UV light

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Hello again,
    Recently I read a post here, the advise was to flash a UV light on new purchases, so I did.
    I found this yellow earrings, on normal light the stones are transparent, but when flashing a UV light they change to pink. I did some research and Google came up with Calcite. Is this a possibility? What is your opinion on what stone is the transparent one? Also, would anyone like to comment on the style, age, the yellow bids?
    Secondly, the lot contained these bids from a necklace, and they turn yellow in UV light, the small bids float in salty water, the static experiment works, they pick up paper, and they look very well polished, more like glass. The earrings on the other hand shine green- yellow in UV light, they feel light and also pick up paper when I run them against a cloth. The necklace bids don't look like plastic, any ideea what they are?
    What about the yellow stone earrings, any ideea if they are plastic and what design is that, I really like it.
    I am considering restrunging the necklace bids, as the professionals are really expensive, I would like to make sure that the bids are real.
    Thank you so much.
    Kind regards,
    Simona
    @Figtree3 @Ownedbybear @Any Jewelry @komokwa
    20210326_121428.jpg 20210326_121517.jpg Screenshot_20210326-123934_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210326-124001_Gallery.jpg 20210326_121042.jpg 20210326_121111.jpg 20210326_121626.jpg 20210305_205535.jpg Screenshot_20210326-124639_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210326-124917_Gallery.jpg

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yellow earrings are glass and great fun. Loose beads are also glass, probably sixties. Those dangle ones, on the copper wire, might be amber.

Simona Buhus likes this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

OOOO! Another member of the "hide in the closet with a blacklight" member :D

4. Simona Buhus

Thank you for your reply. Any ideea why the glass turn pink in the UV light? Could not find the answer on Google:)
    Also, some of the loose necklace bids float in salty water, is this a possibility for glass.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

5. Simona Buhus

Yes, just got it, great fun... not so lucky in getting the books though.

kyratango likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd have thought the loose beads were lucite, but other than the weight it probably doesn't matter much. The center earrings are really pretty; I'd use a loupe to check for marks. An old joolie taught me to go over them with a fingernail first and feel for rough spots. There's a chance they're silver or at least signed.

Simona Buhus likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

The rhinestones? I think the foil back is reflecting.

Good point on the floating thing, they could be lucite or another plastic if light.

Those centre earrings look either copper or rose gold - maybe over silver.

Elen Beattie likes this.
  8. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

It's a good question! (I am a Black Light nerd too :shame:) I don't know the answer but found this page that is quite interesting: Identification by Ultra-Violet & Fluorescence (gemstones-guide.com)

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The beads are reflecting the purple UV light.

10. Ownedbybear

I think she meant the rhinestones which look very pink?

Expanding on my previous reply about the foiled backs doing it, it's also probably what's known as total internal refraction of the UV light in the stones. Long time since I did the geometry of that!

Simona Buhus likes this.
  11. Simona Buhus

That is really interesting, I will have a look again tonight... the transparent stones in day light reflect hues of blue and green, but they are not diamonds, I have tested them...I will try to see what is at the back , will update with details.
    Now I am going to indulge myself in reading about Lucite bids, thank you so much.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

12. Simona Buhus

I will check now with the fingernails, that is great advise. Will update later.
    Also thank you for the Lucite suggestion, I am going to do a bit of research, but I have the feeling is not worthed paying to restrung them.
    Great advise, and lots to read for me, thank you all. :)

13. Ownedbybear

Small point if you're googling Simona, beads rather than bids, or you'll get some weird results! :)

kyratango likes this.
  14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’ll post a few of my uranium glass pieces to give you an idea of what you are looking for. It depends on the amount of the reactive element as to how brightly they glow.
    Some plastics will give a false positive glow as will glue under stones and some lacquers over beads.
    Some gemstones like rubies glow bright pink and some synthetic gems. If I can find mine,I’ll post them but here are some vintage uranium glass pieces.

616414A8-9CAB-4554-8B4C-C7ED77FE55E1.jpeg 35B2290E-6855-4D79-9811-3D5CF10F79B0.jpeg 8C3E623B-C06C-49E2-92AE-DFE11BEADB04.jpeg 4C91517F-CBCC-4A1D-B72B-7C69329330B5.jpeg B072FB8B-681B-475F-A6B7-42F29B0BE2F9.jpeg 35B77A25-6E1D-4947-A0FC-2582A49DF51B.jpeg

15. Simona Buhus

Thank you for the photos and for the advise. I was actually wondering why they glow.
    From your photos I would have presumed that the first one is a bone neklace, the second one would puzzle me as it looks like marble, and the third one I would presume is something symilar to amber. Uranium! Would never cross my mind :)
    Just one question, is it safe to ware these necklaces if they contain uranium.... I remember from my chemistry clases, 30 years ago, that it is toxic, and if I am not wrong, this is what happen in Chernobyl. I remember learning about fusion, Einstein being the Pioneer of this theory, uranium is one of the elements that was used to confirm the fusion theory I belive...

16. Ownedbybear

They're safe. The amount of uranium is minimal and it's effectively sealed in the glass.

Simona Buhus likes this.
  17. Simona Buhus

Thank God for Google :)
    I should spell check sometimes...

It was great to hear about Lucite, I would like to share a photo and to give some pointers from my own experience.
    Lucite is type of acrylic plastic with the following properties
    1.Lucite is denser than plastic, so it feels a bit heavier than plastic, but is lighter than glass.
    2. It looks like glass
    3. It floats a bit in salty water
    4. It does not smell when rubbed
    5. It passes the static test, it attracts small pieces of paper after is rubbed against a cloth

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge, this gave me the opportunity to learn about Lucite.
    Screenshot_20210326-175342_Chrome.jpg

Ownedbybear likes this.
  18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

All glass.
    First are Neiger beads restrung with some red.
    Second is Louis Rousselet
    Third unknown.
    I think Lucite and Perspex are the same thing and if I remember correctly they are both brand names.

Simona Buhus likes this.
  19. Ownedbybear

I've got your third one, it glows like a glowy thing glows.

Yes, both brand names.

KSW likes this.
  20. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

The glow on those is amazing. Maybe I should source a Geiger counter?
    Or maybe not :bag::blackalien:

Draft saved Draft deleted