Flat Belt Wooden Pulley

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Jaymers3450, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Jaymers3450

Jaymers3450 New Member

If anyone has general knowledge about wooden pulleys (or specifically, if these are called that) it would be great! They each come apart into two halves. I have five, all different sizes. We pulled them out of the old mill before it fell in this summer and I know basically nothing. They obviously show signs of being used and their age (whatever that might be). Are they common or still made today? Any information is appreciated :) rsz_img_0856.jpg rsz_img_0855.jpg

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  2. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

You'd better give measurements. They could be as tiny as a spool of thread or the size of a wagon wheel for all we can tell from pictures with nothing to give scale.:p What kind of mill? Grain mill? Textile mill?

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Jaymers3450

Jaymers3450 New Member

The mill is believed to have been a grain one. There was plenty of grain on the ground and in a couple wall chutes to agree with it.

The smallest pulley that I have, is 16 inches in diameter and 4.5 inches wide.
    Next, there's a 16 inch by 8.25 inches wide.
    Third smallest, 24 inches in diameter by 4.5 inches wide.
    Then, 32 inches in diameter by 6.75 inches wide.
    The biggest is 46 inches in diameter by 8.5 inches wide.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Probably PTOs or idlers.
    ~
    LOVE THEM!!!

6. Ruedi

Ruedi Active Member

absolutely love them...think probably 1800's but still used in my home town in the 1950's huge grain mill with really big belts (or maybe I was just really small!)

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted