Flatware monogram?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by verybrad, Mar 9, 2015.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Picked up a set of Community Plate Morningstar pattern flatware. The pieces each have an initial monogram but I am not entirely sure what letter it represents. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

monogram.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I agree.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  4. verybrad

My first thought was T as well but thought it could be seen as a J. Hard to tell with some of these. Thanks!

KingofThings likes this.
  5. verybrad

In this set, it looks more like the I .....

[​IMG]

However, it seems most like the T in most sets I have looked at. Taken out of context from the rest of the alphabet here, I can't imagine anyone would see this as an I.

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

"T"
    Notice that the cross of the "T" on your handle is level.
    The right tip of the "I" in your example, slants up to the right, the "J" usually crosses the into the ? whatever the upright stroke is called.

Bakersgma and gregsglass like this.
  7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Hate to tell you folks this -- it is an "L."

Monograms are read with the business end pointed down.

There was a time when monograms were on the backs of the implements, as they were placed facing down on the table. And occasionally one sees a sidewise presentation, which does not work for southpaws.

:)

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

LOL
    You are absolutely correct. Didn't even think of that.

In searching calligraphy alphabets, very few alphabets have the "L" loop starting on the right (inside) of the "L". And in some that do, the "T" and "L" could be the same letter depending on presentation.

9. verybrad

Interesting ...... so the idea behind this is it is to be read when in the hand as opposed to on the table?

10. silverthwait

11. silverthwait

it is my private belief that monogramists try very hard to make letters that can possibly be interpreted as more than one letter. I have some silverware that is actually marked with a W, but I call it an M and no one has ever disagreed.

Another monogramatic requirement is that any silverware given to a bride Before a wedding is to be marked with Her initials. as in Cynthia Louise Grey appears as CLG, or, more often CGL. Once she is married, gifts or household purchases, are marked for Cynthia Grey Thompson.

I have sometimes wondered if the gifts, which are historically presented to the bride, was that to ensure that should Mr. Thompson prove to be a neer-do-well, Cynthia would not be left destitute. ?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Silver,
    Good catch. We always gave the nice stuff with the brides maiden initials. The only things that got her married init was after one year. The only exception was her stationary which usually not given as a gift but purchased by the newly wed lady. I remember my great aunt tsk tsking a cousin who used her old stationary to write thank yous.
    greg

Ladybranch likes this.
  13. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

My mother must have been related to your great aunt. She insisted the same on my stationery. In fact she was the one that ordered my before and after stationery and thank you cards!! I received some of my silver with my maiden name initials and some with married name initials. I've never been happy with my married initials of SGT soooo most of it has STG.

--- Susan

gregsglass likes this.
  14. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I vote I since the there is a loop on the top right where the T has a sharp spot in same area.

Draft saved Draft deleted