Flint Glass Celery Vase ID Help Please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by value-vintage, Jun 18, 2014.

1. value-vintage

value-vintage New Member

Hi!

I found this flint glass celery vase but I'm having trouble identifying the pattern and maker and could use some help.

The closest thing I've found so far is the pattern "Boxed Star" by Jenkins, but that's not it.

Thanks for looking! :happy: flintcelery.jpg flintcelery2.jpg

2. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

3. spirit-of-shiloh

flint glass

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-flint-glass.htm

• Identify the piece of glassware itself. Flint glass was used to make water goblets, wine glasses, tumblers, punch bowls, shot glasses and pitchers, as well as relish dishes, bread plates, jelly compotes, fruit bowls, creamers and other glassware used for entertaining.

Look at the patterns on the item. Flint glass is always patterned, though there are an estimated 3,000 flint glass patterns in existence, 1,700 of which are produced in goblet form. Patterns range from the simple to the elaborate, and can include animals, flowers and fruit.

Observe the color of the glass. Flint glass can have a green or gray tint, meaning it was made with either iron or lime. Glass with a pink or purple color is made with manganese, which was used to negate the green or gray created by the iron or lime.

Check for pattern intricacy, a lack of which indicates a reproduction. The majority of reproductions were made in the 1950s and 1960s, though production began in the 1920s and reproductions were manufactured through the1980s. Most reproductions are documented, according to antique experts from Sean George Pressed Glass & Goblets. Reproductions are also often heavier and thicker than the originals and are sometimes marked with a stamp such as "SM" for Sandwich Museum or "MMA" for Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Look for other signs indicating you are handling flint glass, such as cracks and mold lines. Flint glass was considered to be cheaply mass produced; everyday glassware and cracks in the glass were common, and can be felt from both sides of the glass. Mold lines, or straw marks, in flint glass are not uncommon as well. They appear as thin or thick scratches that can be felt on one side only and were created from the cast iron mold. Bubbles in the glass are another indication, which results from air getting inside the mold during the pressing stage. Bubbles can appear on both original and reproduction flint glass.

4. spirit-of-shiloh

Are those bubbles? pits? Or just the way the picture looks ?

5. value-vintage

value-vintage New Member

Thanks for the links.

Those are mostly tiny bubbles, but also this piece has a lot of tiny dots of debris (inclusions) in the glass, such as sand or whatever.

6. spirit-of-shiloh

Idon't know much about glass I just collect it. I save lots of links so I can look to identify my pieces. I Googled your celery but could not find similar.

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Can you take a picture in different light? All the flint glass I've seen has a tint to it, as stated above. Yours doesn't look like flint in those photos. A lot of the glass coming out of Czechoslovakia and other Eastern bloc countries today has bubbles and occlusions.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  8. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Does it ring when you tap it?

9. value-vintage

value-vintage New Member

This has a great ring to it when tapped, and it is absolutely not a newer piece. It's true, I don't have a lot of experience with flint glass, but I've been dealing glass in general for nearly 20 years and I have handled a TON of NON-flint EAPG and older glassware and yes even a few flint pieces.

This is old flint glass or I'll eat something I shouldn't.

10. 42Skeezix

Could you post a nice clear closeup of the base, and where the stem joins the body?

Wait for Tallcakes to check in on this one. If he can't pin down the pattern it isn't EAPG. my guess would then be yes old, but not American.

11. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

I did look around trying to find a matching pattern but didn't find one. The appearance doesn't really strike me as flint glass, tho' it is impossible to tell flint glass from photos alone. Flint glass contains lead so mostly reflects the color of the light when examined under black light.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Could be European. I think there's a lot more info online for American glass than there is for glass from elsewhere.

13. value-vintage

value-vintage New Member

By popular request, some more photos with different lighting and background, including a close-up shot of the base.

Thanks for all the replies. :) celeryb2.jpg celeryb.jpg celeryb3.jpg celeryb4.jpg

14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I'm still getting a European vibe from this. I've never seen that rim before.

15. 42Skeezix

That rim is the same thing throwing me off.

16. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

To me flint glass has a lead content which reacts to short wave UV with a blue tint. The lead was used in an attempt to get a colorless appearance like a diamond. I would respond to blowing but was difficult to press in a mold although companies link McKee did learn how. The lead glass was used primarily for cutting from either a plain or figured blank. In the 1860's the soda lime formula that was easier to press in a mold was developed. This is what the EAPG patterns were commonly made of. To me this vase has a newer appearance of pressed in a mold glass and no indication of any lead. The soda glass will ring with the proper shape. Looks newer than the EAPG eara to me and possibly European. Have you checked with the short wave UV?

17. value-vintage

value-vintage New Member

I put it under a black light and it showed no appreciable reaction.

The glass seemed slightly clearer and heavier than "regular" EAPG and has a fantastic drawn out "riiiiiiing" to it when tapped. True, a celery vase is bell shaped which could contribute to that effect.

The glass is also very crude, which to me suggests age. It's a bit mottled on the surface, and filled with tiny inclusions that look like they didn't finish melting the sand or whatever for their glass formula.

The base has a tremendous amount of usage wear, also indicating age.

That's all I've got. :)

18. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Crude does not equate with age. But then it could be 100 years old and still not be EAPG era. To me crude in this case equates with popular priced and a lack of workmanship. A softer glass finish wears faster and shows more wear.

19. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Workmanship is what usually throws people off. Compare any decorative object made 100 or more years ago to what is churned out today. Things like this were made to last and they intended them to be handed on through the generations. The quality of workmanship, whether it was glassware or jewelry was much higher and more detailed. There is a common misconception out there that old equates with rough. It's generally the opposite. I recommend that anyone interested in antiques go and prowl through antique shops and handle the real thing so you get a feel for it. The internet is great, but nothing beats the real thing.

20. value-vintage

value-vintage New Member

I've been a glass dealer for nearly 20 years. I've bought, sold, and handled tens of thousands of pieces of glassware. I realize that I don't know everything, but how many more pieces do you think I should to have to handle before I know what "real" old glass feels like? >/sarcasm<

Draft saved Draft deleted