Flint (?) Glass Separating Cake Stand

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by TallCakes, Aug 20, 2015.

1. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Recently acquired this small separating cake stand. The glass reacts like flint glass. Maker and age are unknown to me; so curious if anyone has any ideas. Perfection Glass made some 'separating' glassware but didn't see anything similar to this 'plain' design motif. The pedestal base appears to have a brass or bronze fitting, and the threaded glass plateau fits very well. The pedestal/base could have possibly been used on compotes or oil lamps; anybody seen any similar 'separating' pieces or ideas for research?

editIMG_6230.jpg

editIMG_6231.jpg
    editIMG_6232.jpg
    editIMG_6233.jpg

Bakersgma and yourturntoloveit like this.
  2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Tallcakes - could it have been a product for bakery displays? Could explain the lack of ornamentation. I'm trying to figure out the advantages of a separating cake stand. If you needed a large number of them (maybe half a dozen or more) they might be easier to store this way. Also it would be easier for the manufacturer to ship with less likelihood of breakage. Weren't there also shelf supports that separated? Sorry, just kind of throwing things out there.
    Don

TallCakes and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Maybe to allow for multiple plate parts of different sizes with a single stand part? Or even to have a "bowl" instead?

Not a glass person here, but Don's commercial use suggestion is intriguing.

TallCakes likes this.
  4. TallCakes

advantages in shipping would seem to be advantage, as well as storage. Also one could have several different sized tops/plateaus and just one pedestal. The pedestal for this one seem a bit large compared to the smaller plateau. The only other 'somewhat similar' cake stand I have in my collection is the 'Spin-A-Cake' by Consolidated.

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It might have been made that way for a caterer or professional bakery. It would make transporting a decorated cake that much easier.

TallCakes likes this.
  6. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

This threaded brass insert intrigues me. It sort of reminds me of the threaded brass insert collars for oil lamps that date c1910; however, the oil lamp inserted collars aren't as substantial as this one appears. I haven't seen a separating cake stand with cake plate all in glass before. I have seen many, as well as having a set myself, of sterling Gorham short candlesticks that came with a screw in cake plate and fruit bowl - a wedding gift. I am hoping someone will come along with info.

--- Susan

TallCakes likes this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Maybe it was made by someone who specialized in lamps and this just seemed to them to be the easiest way.

It is interesting.

TallCakes likes this.
  8. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Tiffin made a 3 part epergne #320-107 with this technique aht allowed for several different configuration. I do not know if they made this.

TallCakes likes this.
  9. TallCakes

thank all for the feedback : ) still looking...

Draft saved Draft deleted