Featured Floor lamp (30's?). I couldn't leave it at $8.95

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Lucille.b, May 22, 2019.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I'm ostensibly avoiding anything oversized and hard to sell but I felt I couldn't leave this at the thrift at that price.

1930's? The base is really attractive with those paw feet, it is that part that caught my eye.

Now that I've rescued it, I'll probably put it on CL for $30 --or??? No reflector, would probably have to be re-wired. Anything special I'm missing and or keywords appreciated.

lamp1.jpg lamp3.jpg

Once home I wondered if there was anything funny about where the stem meets this part:

lamp2.jpg

Does that look about right? Also terrible with metals. ...Brass?

lamp4.jpg
    "F" on the switch. Does that help the maker by chance?

lamp5.jpg

Last two photos show copper piece (sorry for fuzzy pic), also has a ceramic mogul insert if that helps with dating:

lamp7.jpg

2. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

Cool lamp stand! For a great price

3. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

I'd have a qualified person look at the wiring before using it, it could be re-wired with all new parts for less then 30 bucks in parts, Home Depot has all the wire, switch and blub receptacles.

Ghopper1924, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  4. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

These can certainly be rewired, but it takes some time and may not be worth it unless you want it for yourself. And frankly I think the previous owner has already done it for you - that does not look like the original wiring, so it was probably redone in the 80's or so (when that clear wire was being used a lot). I am comfortable around electricity (I shocked myself numerous times as a kid and have learned what is safe and what isn't), so if I didn't see any wear on the wire, I would try putting in bulbs and turning it on. Don't do it if it makes you nervous, however. The small switch controls the three small bulbs separately (one, two, three, off), so you'll have to keep turning to get them all on or all off.

You'll probably find the central light socket is too large for a normal bulb, but you can buy an adapter to screw into the socket so you can use a normal US bulb (existing is probably an Edison 40 also called a mogul bulb, and normal US lights are Edison 27; E40 to E27 adapters that you simply screw in are readily available).

I recognize the F on the switch; I know I have some similar lamps with similar switches, but can't remember who made them. They are from an electrical parts supplier anyway, and not the name of the company that made the lamp.

I see a lot of these lamps cheap and don't think there is much demand, but maybe you'll have luck where you're located. You sometimes see one of the replacement glass shades at thrift stores cheap since they are an odd size and no one knows what they are for. They are just plain frosted glass, like this one:
    [​IMG]

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Well, to me it looks like a marriage of parts.
    The cord is newer with the old plug on it.
    1. 1950s
    2. Newer last 20 years
    3. Maybe a table lamp base.

upload_2019-5-22_17-14-32.png

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Should add it is still an attractive lamp. Should be able to get a lot more than 8.95
    You should also be able to find a glass shade like what Jeff Drum posted at thrift stores. Fairly common.

judy, Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I haven't tried to turn it on. It came with a mogul insert. Meant to ad a photo of that. Sorry for the dust, have not cleaned that inside section.

lamp6.jpg

Curious to hear others thoughts whether a marriage. That one part had me wondering. Either way I think the base (#3) base must have always been for some kind of floor lamp. I (*think*) too large and heavy for a table lamp. Paw foot to paw foot is 13". It certainly is heavy enough to keep this 5' lamp super stable but maybe there are table lamps that need that kind of weight too.

Thanks!

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Light socket is made by Circle F Industries (I may be mistaken on this. The company may be Federal). Either way not a lamp manufacturer. These things were cranked out back then. Only the good makers put a mark on them.

If you can't get $30 for it on CL, tear it down and piece it out on eBay. People are always looking for pieces parts. Sell it all separately: the base, the column spacers, the tube, and the four-light cluster. You'll make more than $30. May have to wait a bit to sell them all and you'll have packing work.

Oh, and that base is for a floor lamp. No doubt.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Figtree3, Ghopper1924, cxgirl and 4 others like this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think this is original as made. While some of the parts seem a bit incongruous, it was not out of the ordinary for makers to mix such parts. If you can't get $30.00 (or more) for this, there is something wrong with buyers today.

Old lamps don't fly out the store like they once did but there are still some buyers out there if you can wait for them. I just sold a heavy brass swing arm floor lamp with a Gillinder shade for $40.00. Took about 3 months before a buyer came along. It was rather plain in comparison to this one.

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    depends on where you are to even get your investment back. looks 1960s to 1970s mass produced. with the triangular foot and paws you could try to sell it as French Empire replica, although it's probably Italian.

Ghopper1924, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks American to me.
    Another keyword to add could be barley twist for the pole?

Ghopper1924, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Also think American and 30s-40s seems about right to me.

Figtree3, Ghopper1924 and cxgirl like this.
  13. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

Great lamp. Don't recommend getting an adapter/reducer for the mogul fitting. Most were made to give several degrees of light upon advancing the light switch whereas the adaptor gives only one. Many hardware stores still carry the mogul bulbs.

cxgirl likes this.
  14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Love the lamp and the price Lucille:) Walmart sells the Mogul lightbulbs for $5.00 up here, probably cheaper in the US.

Figtree3 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  15. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yep, looks American ca. 1940. A Rembandt?

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted