Featured Floor Lamp Mystery

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Ken Goldberg, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Ken Goldberg

Ken Goldberg Member

Attached are photos of a floor lamp I acquired recently from an antique/consignment shop. I have some knowledge regarding furniture history and styles, but you have so, so much more, so perhaps you can give me at least an idea as to what range of years this lamp appears to be from? I have found no markings of any kind. Can you associate any style with this lamp?

As you're not seeing the lamp in person, I can say a little more than what the photos would reveal. I'ts mostly metal (finial appears to be wood), but metal of several kinds. The square base had a few very thin scratches that showed a silverly undercoat, so the brown/bronze color is a finish or coating of some type. Frankly, I touched these up these tiny blemishes with a I enjoy your column in the Sun Press each week and you have thoughtfully responded to an inquiry in the past.

Attached are photos of a floor lamp I acquired recently from an antique/consignment shop. I have some knowledge regarding furniture history and styles, but you have so, so much more, so perhaps you can give me at least an idea as to what range of years this lamp appears to be from? I have found no markings of any kind. Can you associate any style with this lamp?

As you're not seeing the lamp in person, I can say a little more than what the photos would reveal. I'ts mostly metal (finial appears to be wood), but metal of several kinds. The square base had a few very thin scratches that showed a silverly undercoat, so the brown/bronze color is a finish or coating of some type. Frankly, I touched these up these tiny blemishes with a paint that can be used over metals, which I had purchased at an art supply store, and I think it all looks fine now. Other parts of the lamp seem to be a more solid metal, though there is sort of a mottled effect in most sections - e. subtle variations between a dark bronze and a black. The shade, too, is mottled on the outside (see photos). It feels like paper but I cannot say; the interior is a shimmering, solid gold color (see photo).

Lamp I.jpg
    Lamp II.jpg

Lamp V.jpg
    Llamp VI.jpg
    Lamp VIII.jpg
    Lamp IX.jpg
    Lamp X.jpg
    Lamp XI.jpg

Attached Files:

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Please always for all photos. :)
    ~
    FULL IMAGE.jpg

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

What's the cord look like? I'm thinking newer rather than older, but the cord will tell the tale as often as not...unless it's been replaced of course.

judy, Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  4. Erstwhile

Erstwhile Active Member

Nice, but I would expect a lamp of that design to originally have had a glass diffuser with a shade over the top. Yours appears to have the actual lighting / electrical parts replaced. The shade and harp would be more suited for a table lamp in my opinion.
    http://www.antiquelampco.com/Catalog/Diffusers.htm

5. KingofThings

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Something is just tugging at me saying newer. I am feeling it is a marriage of parts. It is a bit confusing.
    greg

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I see new. I see Home Goods. (Hope I'm wrong.)

Debora

8. Ken Goldberg

Ken Goldberg Member

I'm not familiar with them but just looked on the web and see no resemblance whatsoever.

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  9. Ken Goldberg

Ken Goldberg Member

I'm resigned that it would be relatively new - e.g. 1970s on. If so, it's still based on an old style. Mission? Arts and Crafts? Art Nouveau? A local antique expert saw some of the latter. It would be great if it were actually older, however.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You are aware that Home Goods is a retailer, not a brand? Your lamp has a bit of 1920s retro about it but I would think from sometime in the last 20 years. Attractive enough; just not old (to my eye.)

Debora

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I also think relatively new. Neoclassical fantasy fabrication.

12. Ken Goldberg

Ken Goldberg Member

Regarding the cord, here are two photos. This cord doesn't look like a very new style to me, and I can't tell if it's original, either. When was this partly translucent orangy yellow plug most popular?

plug cord floor lamp small.jpg

cord lamp small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2017
  13. Ken Goldberg

Ken Goldberg Member

Sure. It just doesn't look anything like the type of lamp I'd expect them to sell.

14. KingofThings

Ummmm...
    Bigger photos as requested please?
    :)

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. Ken Goldberg

Ken Goldberg Member

It kept saying my two photos were too large so I greatly scaled them down, thinking that would suffice for a cord and plug, but I'll try.

judy and KingofThings like this.
  16. KingofThings

Did you read all the info?
    :)

17. Ken Goldberg

Ken Goldberg Member

Okay - I hope these work for you...

cord - medium I.jpg

cord - medium II.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2017
    KingofThings likes this.
  18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That cord looks like it's 1980s or later. That translucent/transparent stuff goes right along with a more recent point of origin.

Christmasjoy, judy and KingofThings like this.
  19. KingofThings

I’m not sure what’s happening but those aren’t full image.
    :(

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  20. Ken Goldberg

Ken Goldberg Member

KingofThings,
    ???
    When I click on the avatar, I get an image approx. six inches wide and over four inches tall. Large and clear for both photos.

Draft saved Draft deleted