Featured Floral Stem Flower Oil On Canvass Antique Painting signed Help ID and Age

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mugzinnys, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

This painting looks very old. I can not quite make the signature out. Look like F. Famer but not really. The painting is 10" X 8" . How old would you guest this painting is? It has a lot of age beauty. If the artist is known that would make it even more beautiful.
    Thanks 20190424_085404.jpg 20190424_085324.jpg 20190423_212011.jpg 20190424_085238.jpg

2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Maybe Fames or Farnes?

Mugzinnys, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Or Famer? It looks mid-Victorian, wild guess, and just your basic still life. I doubt you'll ever find the artist. I'm also guessing it could do with a cleaning; odds are those pinks would really pop if the years of fireplace and tobacco smoke were cleaned off.

4. Mugzinnys

a wet Q-tip reveals Famer I am pretty sure? F. Famer. Yes evelyb30 a good cleaning is over do. It look like the previous owner also glued the picture onto the frame with what looks like clear silicone to hold it t 20190424_153342.jpg 20190424_085539.jpg o the frame.

5. Jivvy

I hope it's silicone and not hot glue -- easier to remove, I think.

Where was this found?

Mugzinnys likes this.
  6. Mugzinnys

20190424_085528.jpg 20190424_085539.jpg 20190424_085416.jpg It is in several areas around the frame holding the picture in place. It is hard as a rock it could be hot glue. Do you think the frame is he original frame from the period?

7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I don't know what a frame of the period would look like in the front, but I think the darkening of the back does look right.

Fid, Jivvy and Mugzinnys like this.
  8. Jivvy

What @Pat P said about age.

But phew, looks like the earlier "repairer" even got hot glue on the canvas.

If this is for resale, other than dust removal, I wouldn't muck with it too much.

People use hot glue because it's easy to apply and dries quickly. HOWEVER. IT IS PURE EVIL.

Pat P likes this.
  9. Mugzinnys

I thought about cleaning it, Evelyb30, but I am beginning to appreciate the years of soot build up as an enhancement to the art piece. It makes you look deeper to see the detail. The floral at first I thought to be roses on a stem, but looking at the red buds on the branches it looks like a flowering tree branch. But then I wonder how pink those pinks really are.

10. Jivvy

My guess is that the serious yellowing is due to the varnish.
    From what I can see, the budding is very typical of roses. Plus, that leaf structure is all rose.

It doesn't have to be a rose, but I'm pretty sure it is a rose.

11. Mugzinnys

Jivvy I was reading about removing the glue with alcohol. But like you said I am not worried about that. More concerned about th canvas imprint being caused by the canvas laying on the frame. Should I lay something in between the canvas and the wood?

12. Mugzinnys

Definitely looks like varnish on this end.

13. Jivvy

Sorry, I am not the one to ask about how to sort that frame situation. :wacky:

14. Mugzinnys

Could this painting ave been done in the Baroque Style?

15. Mugzinnys

I have recently been looking at videos of painting from the Baroque Period and the frame on this painting is similar to the frames of that period. Could this painting actually be old enough to be from the Baroque Period?

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It does look Victorian which would date it from 1840 to 1900-ish. The Baroque Period was from 1600 to 1750-ish. Baroque art is highly theatrical, almost show-off-y with lots of attention to detail. Here's a "simple" Baroque still life for comparison.

Debora

AST-STUDY-OF-FLOWERS-AND-INSECTS.jpg

aaroncab likes this.
  17. Mugzinnys

Thanks, Debora is the frame have a Victorian flavor also?

Draft saved Draft deleted