Florence Kroger, Original Painting?

Discussion in 'Art' started by mr2real, Feb 11, 2015.

1. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

This piece is being offered at a local flea market. According to her bio, http://medeiros.weebly.com/kroger.html , this piece is was one of her most famous works titled "Wake Up Time". I didn't remove it from the frame. You can see the texture of the canvas in the photos. There is also small spots of paint on the edges of the canvas (on the back). I have tried to date the canvas board "Duro Art Industries" without out any luck. I've also tried to find any information about the original. Any thoughts as to age, authenticity, etc are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Joe

IMG_6577.JPG IMG_6578.JPG IMG_6579.JPG

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

3. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Here is another on eBay.

[​IMG]

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Are you sure that this is THE original painting? Is the market touting it as an original painting? How much are they asking for it?

I am of the opinion that the Duro board is just an extra backing board on the reverse, as the colors of the paint along the edges do not match what was used in the painting (or print). I'm thinking you've photographed a print but it is impossible for me to tell from your photos of it behind the glass.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  5. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

The paint splatters around the back are light blue which is consistent with the color of the child's sleeve, but it could have inadvertently ended up there if someone was painting the frame too. I've tried to show the canvas texture in the second photo (I'm posting closer view now). The cardboard prints I'm seeing online have a different texture than canvas. As for it being an original, I can't find any information about the original (no date that it was painted, where it might be located, etc).

The artist lived from 1897-1980. Her bio states that started painting as an illustrator in the 1930's, but it doesn't specify how long she was actively working. As for Duro Art Industries (the maker of the canvas board), I found a website that says they have been in business for 38 years. There is another website that says in the mid 1960's the business was named Duro Decal Company. If both these facts are true, this piece would have been painted between 1977 and 1980 (which doesn't seem very likely).

Here is a closer photo of the canvas board texture.
    painting.jpg

6. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

I've emailed the author of the artist biography and included a link to this thread. There just isn't enough information about Florence Kroger or Duro Art Industries for me to continue trying to research.

7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

The paint on the back of the Duro board could also be the undercoat of the colors used in the painting, if in fact, it is a painting. Thank you for your research and for posting another of the detail of the signature, I am still thinking this is a print.

So far, the small photos (yes I have bad eyesight) and the fact that this painting is behind glass make it impossible to tell if it is an original. You didn't mention the price, but it would seem to me that it would be expensive if it is an original painting.

I can confirm that the Duro boards that looked like that on the back were sold at art stores in the 1970s. Of course, they may very well have been selling their new old stock to art students.

Studio Antiques likes this.
  8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Have you removed it from the frame, yet? Is it possible there is a painting on Duro board behind the Kroger print? I used Duro as an art student in Boston in 1967-68, so that is definitely not as old as a Kroger painting would be.

antidiem likes this.
  9. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

A good rule of thumb when you find your exact piece on Google is that if it doesn't say "present whereabouts unknown" then you more than likely have some manner of print or reproduction.

10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The canvas-board shown wouldn't date any earlier than 1963, when ZIP codes and 2-letter state abbreviations came into use, but Duro (founded in 1938, still in business as of a couple of years ago), didn't register the little 'Duro-Dan' trademark until 1979, claiming first use in 1973.

~Cheryl

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Good point about the ZIP code, Cheryl.

antidiem likes this.
  12. George Jakowenko

George Jakowenko New Member

Is anyone interested in original works and drawings from Florence Kroger? I have many items from her estate.
    EMAIL DELETED BY MODERATOR

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2021
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hey Jako, thanks for the heads up , but but your post should be in the SELL forum, & not include your email addy.

If you have anything to add to this thread about Mr2's painting, we'd love to hear it.:)

14. Barb Wade

Barb Wade New Member

15. Barb Wade

Barb Wade New Member

I just purchased at a auction a 2 portraits of Florence Kroger, that looks similar to the one you have, and the other one has no signature. I believe the first are original that she may have painted herself and the other one I have is like the mass production without her signature.

16. Deborah Carney

Deborah Carney New Member

I, too, have a Florence Kroger painting or print behind glass. It is signed. The back of the canvas has no information on it. I have never taken it out of the frame. Actually, the back does have a stamp that says, SM34 Kroger Wake Up Time.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted