Flower Fables by Louisa May Alcott

Discussion in 'Books' started by Gabby, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Gabby

Gabby New Member

I can't find this exact book anywhere online.

Found in a thrift store, just trying to figure out its worth. Thanks for your help. 20180806_225017.jpg 20180806_225045.jpg 15363757038725530535704721391793.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

from the look of it.....$ 5

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Gabby.

i need help and judy like this.
  5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers Gabby!

i need help likes this.
  6. Gabby

Gabby New Member

7. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

8. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Hmmm, perhaps the curator(s) at the "Louisa May Alcott house" might be of some help.

Gabby, if you don't want to use my link below, just google Louisa May Alcott house (museum). ;)

http://www.louisamayalcott.org/

Any Jewelry, i need help and judy like this.
  9. 2manybooks

Please post a photo of the copyright page (the back of the title page). Is there a date of publication, or edition listed? That is the best way to find comparable copies. The cover art might be changed from one printing to the next, so is not always the best criteria.
    The signature, by the way, is not an original signature. It was common practice to include a printed version of the author's signature along with a portrait.
    abebooks.com is really the best site when you are trying to match editions. It allows you to enter detailed information to refine your search - publisher, date range, format, whether or not it has a dust jacket, etc. As you note, there would be many editions of any Louisa May Alcott book.

10. Gabby

Gabby New Member

The only date listed is 1854 with this note.

Attached Files:

11. 2manybooks

OK, that is the dedication page - something that would be included in any reprint edition. Sadly, it does not mean that the copy you have was printed in 1854. I assume, then, that the back of the title page is blank. Hurst & Company was founded in 1871, and reprinted many popular titles. Reprints such as these, during that time period, often did not include publication dates. (The fact that Hurst & Co. existed only after 1871 also proves the book is not an original edition.)
    I have found a website which discusses Hurst reprints of the popular Tom Brown series. It includes photos of the covers of their numerous editions, and when they were published. When there is not a publication date, the style of the book cover can be a good clue as to when it was issued. You can see if any of the covers shown look similar to your book. And/or you can post a picture of the cover here and I will take a look. (Please post it full size - the old eyes are not so good anymore.)
    http://www.henryaltemus.com/TomBrown/publishers/hurst.html

Figtree3, i need help and Bakersgma like this.
  12. Jivvy

Here's the OP's book, full size:

temp01.jpg

i need help likes this.
  13. Gabby

Gabby New Member

Thanks, not sure why it posted so small for me

Jivvy likes this.
  14. 2manybooks

Is this Gabby's book cover, or another one you found, Jivvy? :confused:

If your book looks like this, Gabby, it is probably early 20th century - 1900-1910 or so, like the other one that Jivvy found that was published by Hurst.

The conclusion is that it is not worth more than you paid for it at the thrift store. A very common title, in an inexpensive reprint edition, in not very good condition. Sorry.

judy, komokwa and i need help like this.
  15. Jivvy

That one is Gabby's. It's in her first post, but only the thumbnail version is showing. I copied, cropped, and reposted. ;)

Any Jewelry, judy and i need help like this.
  16. Gabby

Gabby New Member

Thanks, wasn't planning to make money off it really, I just like to know what's in my collection

yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  17. 2manybooks

Duh, now I see it. Good work Jivvy. Like I said, the old eyes are not so good.....

Jivvy and judy like this.
  18. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Welcome Gabby.

Draft saved Draft deleted