Fob/Ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Willcpfc, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Willcpfc

Willcpfc Well-Known Member

Another item from my inventory.

A fob ring.

Possibly early Christian image on the engraved stone. No markings or hallmarks. It is another piece that I have had limited success in getting details on. Any thoughts appreciated. IMG_20200201_115900513.jpg IMG_20200201_115911514.jpg

2. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a 19th century seal fob for a watch chain. It isn't a ring, but a stirrup shape with a small ring to attach the fob to the watch chain.
    The stone is an intaglio carved carnelian, with the word fidelle in reverse. Used as a seal, the word would come out right in the wax.
    Have you tested the metal? It could be rose gold.
    Symbolism was important in the 19th century. A dove with an olive branch is originally a Biblical image (Noah). In the 19th century it was seen as a symbol of peace, hope and friendship.
    The word fidelle stands for loyalty, so together with the dove the seal symbolizes loyal friendship. Maybe a gift from a loyal friend.:)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  4. Any Jewelry

This is a seal fob on a watch chain:
    [​IMG]

5. Willcpfc

Willcpfc Well-Known Member

That is a fantastic answer. I haven't had the metal tested to be honest. Is there any way of knowing the age of the intaglio?

It is a very nice little item, and I am very grateful for you filling in the pieces about what it represents.

KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

The intaglio is likely to be the same age as the fob. A dove with an olive branche is probably the most popular image for a seal fob.

Willcpfc and KikoBlueEyes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted