Fog on the Thames- Lithograph?

Discussion in 'Art' started by jeasta, May 17, 2018.

1. jeasta

jeasta Well-Known Member

Hello everyone I found this piece when I was buying something else off of OfferUp and bought it for $5. It came with the print below it, but they don't look to me like they're from the same artist. I was wondering if anyone knows if it's a lithograph or a charcoal or something else entirely. Is there any way of getting more information without taking it out of the frame? Also does anyone recognize the signature? And I'm reading the date as 1934 what do you think? Thanks for all the help!

MVIMG_20180517_085825-1642x1409.jpg
    IMG_20180516_234526-2016x1512.jpg
    IMG_20180516_234415-2016x1512.jpg
    IMG_20180516_234407-2016x1512.jpg

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The date looks like 1934. The name could Boothe.

Christmasjoy and jeasta like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Looks like 1934 to me too.
    I love it.

Christmasjoy and jeasta like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's mounted strangely. It might even be a photograph. There are techniques that give that appearance. I wouldn't toss it without further research.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. jeasta

jeasta Well-Known Member

Hmmmm it's a puzzler. There has to be somewhere in Houston I can go to have an expert look at it. I'll have to check that out. I'm not throwing it out for sure. I think it's really cool and different.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What's interesting is... the vantage point appears to be center river. Appears to be House of Parliament on right (with one of the towers covered in scaffolding.) So that would make bridge Lambeth but doesn't look quite right.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

St. Stephen's Tower (now Elizabeth Tower), the clock tower that holds Big Ben, was covered with scaffolding in 1935.

I think that's the tower in the picture, but don't know what that does for the date.

8. jeasta

jeasta Well-Known Member

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Looks like the artist was on a barge or something like it.
    If you are tossing it, you can toss it in my direction. I love rivers through towns, especially with bridges. I have strolled along the Thames in London at many occasions, and loved it. I even spent an entire night walking along the Danube in Budapest (Hungary), just because of the river atmosphere and a perfect conversation, but that is another story.

jeasta and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's Lambeth Bridge. Number of arches and curve is the clue. And you can see the building in front of what's now Millbank Tower. I've entirely forgotten its name.

The artist is downriver of both the bridge and Tower . And the perspective is distinctly skewed.

Have a look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambeth_Bridge#/media/File:River_Thames,_London-11Sept2009.jpg

And - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambe...River_Thames_and_Lambeth_Bridge-7July2007.jpg

I think he was in the middle of Westminster Bridge.

jeasta, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted