Featured Foiled glass religious pendant?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Houseful, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

This sweet little base metal pendant was obviously worn a lot which appealed to me. All the plating worn off on the back and it was pretty grungy.
    I’ve seen foiled glass beads but I’m not sure whether this is using the same technique, the greens and purple look like petrol/gasoline on water. Any info please? Thanks. Three quarters of an inch long, car boot buy.
    ~
    50EB9FCC-AF52-4219-99B2-6CD7C2593857.jpeg 616D4F19-F51B-418F-B88D-1263E330F40F.jpeg 9ACFDF43-4731-41E2-B651-109B55E4D791.jpeg 238983BE-5705-4020-9A67-BC1B2E01E710.jpeg

2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

This is ringing all sorts of first communion bells for me. I suspect aurora borealis coating rather than foiled glass.

Figtree3 and Houseful like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Agreed: AB.

Figtree3 and Houseful like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

These were dead common about 45 years ago, give or take. There's a painted coating on the back, often with a silver or goldtone paint job over it. The glass is molded. They turned up with all sorts of designs, from religious to flamingos at sunset.

Figtree3, Houseful and Jivvy like this.
  5. Houseful

Thanks to all. Surprisingly I haven't been able to find another online yet but I haven't yet typed in AB thinking wrongly it was some sort of foil.

6. Jivvy

I did some quick looking and was surprised not to find any -- as @evelyb30 said, about 45 years ago, they were everywhere.

Or so it seemed. Must be missing the exact right search.

7. Houseful

I’ve just had another look too and found none like mine or with sunsets etc.
    I don’t remember them here in U.K. 45 years ago, I only remember the mop hearts with your name in gold.

8. Jivvy

I just remember the cross one, but it seemed like all the girls had one (Florida, US). I may have had one.

Can't believe they aren't everywhere online. :bucktooth:

Houseful likes this.
  9. Houseful

Yes, thought at least there would be one on Etsy.

10. Jivvy

You know what, the setting is different than I thought. That's a pronged setting, solid metal on the back?

The ones I'm thinking of didn't have that, no setting at all. Just the bail. May have been lucite, not glass.

Which doesn't answer why I can't find the ones I'm thinking of, but yours may be slightly earlier than those.

11. Houseful

Yes, prong set in solid metal. I’ve seen sunsets and palm trees etc on backgrounds of blue morphos butterfly wing pendants but nothing really like mine. I’m sure there would have been many made as they were pretty and probably cheap to buy but I wonder where they all got to.

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I get the feeling Houseful's pendant is a little different and older than the ones mentioned?
    It has been my lifelong ambition to own one of those.:wacky:

Houseful likes this.
  13. Houseful

The AB is on the back of the glass against the metal, not sure if that’s evident from the pictures. This is one I will wear though it does need more cleaning, it really was very grungy.

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If for no other reason than it's made better.

Jivvy and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted