Featured Folk Art Portrait

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Illielee, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Illielee

Illielee Well-Known Member

Anyone have insight into this piece?
    I'm wondering if I might be able to identify the cathedral or chapel if anyone has a best guess on where it may have originated? Though I guess it wouldn't necessarily mean it was where the picture was painted, probably a studio backdrop...but interesting to know. Could be French church since it has a rooster weathervane.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That is a distinctive building. As painting a portrait, likely it has some association with subject. Doesn't look like the original frame. Have you taken work out to see if signature falls below? Any markings on back?

Debora

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Oh, and your painting isn't folk art. It was done by a trained painter. This is folk art. Charming but notice how the painter's reach exceeds his grasp.

Debora

FORUM Folk Art.jpg

4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

looks like a typical Norman tower. found from Scotland to England to Northern France down to Sicily. good luck.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A rooster vane is not typically French. It stems from the pre-Christian European custom of putting roosters on top of maypoles, etc. For churches they changed the meaning to the rooster of st Peter.
    Here in the Netherlands rooster vanes are mostly on Calvinist Protestant churches. Catholic churches generally have crosses, although they can have roosters as well. Lutheran churches have swan vanes.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

From the pointed windows with tracery, the tower appears to be Gothic Revival. The same elements can be seen here in Westminster Abbey. And the proportion of the turrets bring to mind another well known Gothic Revival building, the clock tower at the Palace of Westminster.

Debora

FORUM Westminster Abbey.jpg FORUM Big Ben.jpg

Christmasjoy and James Conrad like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

If the painting is from Europe, whether island or continental, the tower is more likely to be Gothic than Gothic Revival. After all, pointed windows with tracery were Gothic for many centuries before the Revival came along.

The slightly tapering shape is a bit odd, it makes me think it could be a folly.
    Another thing I noticed is the colour difference between the body of the church and the carved parts, which makes me think of Norfolk flint churches with limestone accents.
    This clearly is not the tower on the painting, but just to show what I mean by the two colours:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/norwichlawrence/norwichlawrence.htm

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

from the hair and clothes it seems to be Biedermeier

9. Any Jewelry

A Biedermeier girl would be wearing pantalettes, like the girl in the painting Debora posted. The shoes look later, I think this girl was dressed up in a historic costume.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's interesting. My first thought was it was a folly too. The scale is domestic and a church tower would be open for bells. Oh, and subject could be a boy.

Debora

11. Any Jewelry

On the other hand, there is a house to the right of the tower. So there are at least two houses in close proximity to the tower, including the house the child is in.
    A folly is usually in the gardens of a country estate.

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No expert but looks Revival rather than true Gothic to my eye. That's because of the OTT proportion of the turrets and just a general Romantic feeling overall.

Debora

13. Any Jewelry

Someone certainly went overboard on those turrets.;)

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Could be a folly along the lines of Hadlow Tower, a bit more ambitious than an over-sized garden ornament.

Debra

FORUM Hadlow Tower.jpg

15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

16. Any Jewelry

Onderschtanding sse Bawarians vos allreit. I didn't quite catch the Dutch surname of the little girl though.:D Something with van Hoop.
    They sure are reading a lot into the painting, like a scared look in the girl's eyes, which I never noticed and still don't.:rolleyes: And the little goat with an uncertain future in its eyes....:confused: Wow, what a load of.....:muted:

By historic costume I meant it was painted after the Biedermeier period, but dressed in an earlier, so Biedermeier, dress, minus Biedermeier pantalettes. And wearing later shoes. Or rather one shoe, which, along with the missing underwear, makes me wonder about the painter's intention.:muted:

17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I didn't link because of the goat, my name is not Erdogan:hilarious:

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Ott but I like it. It looks like a miniature Antwerp Cathedral:
    [​IMG]

19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I wonder if it might be satirical. A sly comment on someone's mistress.

20. Any Jewelry

Could be. A slightly kinder explanation than my misgivings, although not much.:eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted