Featured Folk Art Wooden Cat Box Charlotte Horstmann Gerald Godfrey

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by wildrose, Apr 20, 2021.

1. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

Found this old folk art wooden cat box today. There is an old label on the bottom from Charlotte Horstmann Gerald Godfrey antique shop in Hong Kong. I guess they were pretty upscale. Anyone know anything about this box? It is 9" tall, 11" long. Thank you for any thoughts and help! catbox.jpg cat5.jpg catbox1.jpg catbox2.jpg catbox3.jpg catbox4.jpg

cxgirl, Aquitaine, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thinking this is just a decorative vintage piece with not a lot of age, but please wait for others. It is a cute box and you can't go wrong with cats.

If you are selling, I think the tag linking it to the famous antique shop might possibly add value.

Googling Charlotte Horstmann Gerald Godfrey, below is a link to a NYT article.

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/01/24/travel/hong-kong-s-antiques-treasure-trove.html

I just scanned the 1984 article, but it sounded like they sold all levels of items, here is a paragraph:

Stocking objects that will appeal to all types of shoppers appears to pose no problem for the owners. There are, for example, such souvenir-type objects as Japanese cherrywood boxes about the size of a pack of cigarettes, which are $5, and shards of export Ming porcelain from sunken ships found in the Gulf of Siam, which are framed on silver. They range in price from $15 to $80.

So it could be that it was sold decoratively and not a true antique. The fact that the label is sort of glued on to the base so firmly to last all these years makes me think maybe this was something even newer when purchased. Would the store glue a label onto a wooden antique? Just thinking out loud, but please wait for others, or do additional research as I'm really just guessing.

It has a nice look and some cat lover would pounce on it.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It certainly does appears to be a decorative item. But one with a fancy provenance.

Debora

wildrose likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It also looks 'repro' to me, but also adorable.....should sell quickly!!! Is that felt on the bottom??

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

6. wildrose

When I do image search it says dumb ass shit, like art or flower. I almost never find what I am looking for. HAHA. Thank you SIS!

7. say_it_slowly

8. wildrose

Gee I don't know why I didn't find that!! thanks SIS

Lucille.b and say_it_slowly like this.
  9. say_it_slowly

Doesn't really help as it doesn't say much. Just a price without an ID:)

wildrose and Lucille.b like this.
  10. wildrose

Thank you though !! @Aquitaine no felt on the bottom, painted wood.

Aquitaine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted