Featured Follow along a silver hunting journey

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Sep 8, 2019.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I thought it would be fun to try something different today. I drove A TON and I came up with some goodies, but rather than just show you them, I thought I would show you how I found them. I decided to scope out an area a few hours from my house, and see if I could snag a few goodies. Here's the photo that peaked my interest and got me started on the journey:

PHOTO2.jpg

To be honest I don't even remember how I got to this image, because it was the second or third image on the listing. And the listing makes zero mention of silver items. So I was willing to build a trip around going to get these cups if the seller would let me buy them without the rest of the listing.

So I drove to pick up the sterling demitasse cup holders and trays, this set is made by WHS Co. and I paid $10

IMG_2148.JPG

My next stop was a gamble, and I was REALLY hoping it was going to pay off. The seller provided this photo in the listing; in hindsight I should have looked closer (there was an image of the marks on a separate photo) but my mind was carried away with the beautiful tone of the piece:

TEA1.jpg

Turned out to be plated by Martin, Hall & Co, but for $8 I didn't need to mess around with asking/looking. Just showed up, bought it and realized afterwards. I went to look at another item nearby that I chose not to buy. Then I stumbled across this listing:

Thimble2.jpg

So what caught my eye on this listing? The seller simply listed it as sewing box and thimble. But if you look at the photograph, you can realize based on the size of those needles that the thimble is really huge! More than anything, it sparked my curiosity enough and since it was nearby, I went to check it out. Turned out to be a good buy for $10:

IMG_2149.JPG

A whimsical piece I've seen for sale online (almost bought one if people didn't make them so expensive). On the top it reads "Only A Thimble Full" and it's marked sterling on the inside.

With all my local leads tapped out, I hit the road and halfway home I tried a share of local thrift stores. On my second store, this wonderful gift fell from the heavens for $3, plain view (at least plain view if you know what you're looking for):

IMG_2150.JPG IMG_2151.JPG IMG_2152.JPG

And on my last store of the day, I spied something pretty inside a bag of junk. Here's what it looked like to everyone else who passed it in the store:

IMG_2153.JPG

This one was $3 and it's marked Tencha .925 Hecho en Mexico.

That's what my day was like hunting for goodies, I hope you enjoyed the photos and the story!

IMG_2154.JPG

Figtree3, sch3gsd, Houseful and 16 others like this.
  2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I love, love, love the thimble!

kyratango, judy, Christmasjoy and 6 others like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That thimble is really cool!

4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I love all of it and how you led us through your adventure. Thanks so much for taking the time!

5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I now have thimble envy.

6. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you Kiko, it's of course my pleasure to share the story along with the finds. It was a battle to put this little pile together, but I enjoyed the experience. I drove through the downtown area of a big city I hadn't seen before, it was fun.

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

What a fun post ! And of course I NEED that thimble now. :)

Houseful, kyratango, cxgirl and 8 others like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Thimble thimble little star............ & it is a little STAR !!!!! Sweeeeet ! :hungry::hungry::hungry:

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile I was checking out the box the thimble came with.

10. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

It's a "made in occupied japan" item, obviously plated but I didn't do any research. To be completely honest, it was probably going into the trash. I have too much of a propensity to hoard...My dad was a minimalist and my mother was a hoarder, so that makes me a compulsive keep it/throw it away something or other...

Figtree3, kyratango, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Occupied Japan stuff used to be hot. It's cooled off again. I'd donate the box somewhere if you're just going to toss it.

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I wonder if the thimble was once a pin cushion? I can imagine dark red velvet in there.
    I would have looked twice at the ewer too. It may be plated but it is gorgeous.:)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    MrNate, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

The thimbles were common in Scotland, when I had a shop there. A tot of whisky never came amiss to most people. Usually silver plated though.

14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

what a fun post this was Mr Nate, thanks for taking us along with you:)

15. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Thank you MrNate for sharing your roadshow!:joyful:

16. sch3gsd

sch3gsd Well-Known Member

What a fun post, thanks for letting us ride along.

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  17. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Little shot, common here too, in both plate and sterling - looks like it's engraved with something like 'Only a Thimble Full' (maybe by Simons Bros.)...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted