Featured For the Bakelite lovers

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by anundverkaufen, May 22, 2022.

1. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

A Bonhams auction back in January of a good friend Mario Rivoli who unfortunately passed away last year. Just sharing because his collection was incredible and not all was auctioned, he had thousands of pieces. I worked in his studio in the late 80’s early 90’s and the smell of the collection permeated everything. He was an amazing artist as well as collector.
    https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/27539/

This is Mario in a jacket he made in the seventies.
    D2AB9555-E05C-4C4F-9932-CF3097EC3BAC.jpeg

2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Speechless. What a collection. RIP to a creative artist with an amazing Bakelite collection!

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WOW!!!! Wondering what the heck that jacket weighed, from the look of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

anundverkaufen and Lucille.b like this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

OMG ! I had a denim jacket in the early 80s that I had loaded with rhinestone brooches . It got stolen one night when I was at a bar. I was so mad ! God only knows what I had on that jacket.Thats when you could buy costume jewelry for nothing. I had some fabulous ones . He had an amazing collection. I bet he was a hoot in real life.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm betting we'd have gotten along. DANG that dude had some bakelite.

7. anundverkaufen

Johnny, you would have loved him, he was a hoot if there ever was one. Favorite memory of him was a day selling at mile high flea market, Mario showed up dressed as a babushka with headscarf, accent and all, in his wheelchair (childhood polio.) I was the only one that recognized him and when he saw that I was about to out him he gave me the “don’t do it!” look. He never drove a car in his life having grown up In Manhattan and not needing to. I loved taking him picking to the many Denver thrift stores and dumpster diving in the country club neighborhood, funniest picking partner ever.

8. anundverkaufen

This is a life size sculpture he was commissioned to do for a Chinese restaurant called the China Cowboy. It’s a mannequin covered in smashed up china plates.
    CA862939-D820-4044-80E8-D50A461380E1.jpeg

Figtree3, Lucille.b, Houseful and 8 others like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I actually like that thing. Dunno why.

10. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

You are not alone!

Lucille.b, Aquitaine and johnnycb09 like this.
  11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Denver is one of my most favorite cities EVER ! I lived there all told about 7 years. The thrifts back then were treasure troves. I last lived there until 2000. When I left I had a moving sale and people started showing up at 6 am ! They werent met with pleasantness ! I sold so much,and still gave friends a ton of stuff. I really thought Id be back there but life has a way of throwing curves. I hear its almost unaffordable now . I think weve chatted about it before,but that was years ago. I sure wish Id have known you then. :) I could have met him !OMG ! I was in those antique shops on Broadway countless times !

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  12. Becky Dahl

Becky Dahl Member

Thanks for sharing! What a glorious artist and what a collection

pearlsnblume and anundverkaufen like this.
  13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your friend, @anundverkaufen . What an amazing person!

anundverkaufen and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted