Foreign silver mark ID?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by spartcom5, Oct 29, 2019.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

I bought what was described to me as a fish spatula? I have no idea if that is correct but it has odd marks that I have not seen before? Looks like a bear with a K, an A symbol, and EWB probably maker mark? I thought they were Swiss marks but came up empty handed because there isn't a town letter for K....

Also, the handle is hollow and I almost feel like something is missing at the tip of the handle no?
    20191027_160500_resized.jpg
    20191027_160520_resized.jpg 20191027_160527_resized.jpg 20191027_160542_resized.jpg 20191027_160604_resized.jpg

scoutshouse and Ratsy Brown like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I see EVB, not EWB?

scoutshouse likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i didn't know fish used spatula's......:hilarious::hilarious:
    handle looks complete..

Fid, scoutshouse and aaroncab like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The 'K' is for the primary assayer Kessner, the 'A' is for the secondary assayer Andreack - I read the mark as 'FWB', generally attributed to Johann Friedrich Wilhelm Borcke (working 1816-39). It's a cake server, dating to the 1820s-'30s, should be at least .750 fineness, and it does look to me like there has been some damage to the top of the handle, with a bit missing...

~Cheryl

Aquitaine, scoutshouse and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

If you're talking the initials in the middle of the server, turn it the OTHER way around, and polish it a bit.....things should become quite a bit clearer!!!!! BUT, as far as the marks, could be E or F then WB......VERY PRETTY.....too bad for the top damage!!!

ZZZZZZ 20191027_160500_resized.jpg

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    scoutshouse and DragonflyWink like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Thanks for correcting the letter meaning for me, Cheryl. I really must stop trying to post before sunrise.

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

form reminds me of an absinth spoon.

9. Bakersgma

No way, Fid. Absinthe spoon?? With all those holes and just in general outrageously large?

10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I have a German cake server of similar shape and size packed away somewhere, mine is a bit later, and the blade plated rather than silver, but it does have the added feature of depicting a rather charming putto holding a plate with a bundkuchen (looked for a pic, but must be on my misplaced external hard drive)...

~Cheryl

11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted