Featured Fores's Coaching Recollections - Pulling Up To Un-Skid; Any Way To Tell if Orig or 1990 Reprint?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jan 11, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Found this beauty at local thrift store today. It has "Fores's Coaching Recollections" top & center
    And "Pulling Up To Un-Skid" bottom & center.

Researching it shows that it was published by London. Messrs. Fores, at their Sporting & Fine print Repository & Frame Manufactory, 41 Picadilly, Corner of Sackville Street. Printed Jan. 2nd. 1843
    BUT! they did a reprint in 1990 - with the original plate! Any way to tell if mine is an original?
    Thanks!
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT STAGECOACH 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT STAGECOACH 2AA.jpg
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT STAGECOACH 3A)aaaA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT STAGECOACH 4AA.jpg

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Can you see lots of little dots?

Joshua Brown and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. journeymagazine

No dots - and a old one would have them right?

4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

A hand lithograph would have dots random by hand, mechanical will be neat.
    Otherwise it would be newer.

Joshua Brown and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the mat is leaching acid right into the print.......if it's found to be worth something, get it away from that mat....

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think yours is a reprint.

You can see an original here:
    http://www.gac.culture.gov.uk/work.aspx?obj=27182

If you zoom in on the image, you will see a publication date on that line of fine print under the image. I don't see it on your print.

If it is an engraving taken from the original plate, it would be called a re-strike.

KingofThings and Houseful like this.
  7. journeymagazine

No it is there; it's light like your link. It says - London Published January 14 1874 (there is something between 14 & 1874 - maybe a small th for 14th?) by MF SS Forre's, 41 Piccadilly - there is that little...symbol? between SS & Fore's - I will try to photograph it tomorrow in day light instead of with flash

KingofThings likes this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Then I don't know.

Maybe checking the paper for a watermark would help.

Is the company still around? Can you ask them? Or whoever it was who did the 1990 re-strike?

The Louvre Museum has a department called Chalcographie (chalcography is another name for prints pulled from copper plates) that does re-strikes from plates in their collections. I have one, and the paper used has a Louvre watermark.

https://www.francetoday.com/culture/art_and_design/chalgographie_-_musee_du_louvre/

If the Louvre has such a department, other museums might as well.

My Louvre print also has a great honking blind stamp in the margin, which is pretty darn obvious, but I had forgotten.

And it is missing the original publication information (including the date), which is on the originals.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    KingofThings likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

Here are the words at top, bottom above title + bottom left & right corners. Could it be a original?
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT STAGECOACH 4BABBAAB.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT STAGECOACH 5AAAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT STAGECOACH 7AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT STAGECOACH 6AA.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted