Fostoria Navarre

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tomasball, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Tomasball

Tomasball New Member

I'm having fun adding to the Fostoria Navarre stemware set left me by my mother. I have read that Fostoria sold the pattern to Lenox, and I see some Lenox Navarre pieces on ebay, Replacements, etc., that are noticeably less expensive. Is there a way to tell the Lenox from the Fostoria, and is there a compelling reason not to get some Lenox mixed in?

judy and wenna like this.
  2. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

Here is some info from a respected website, which may help you.

"The "Navarre" pattern was produced by Fostoria from 1936 to 1982, making it the most popular of all of Fostoria's etched patterns. "Navarre" stemware was produced in colors beginning in 1973 (so colored "Navarre" is definitely not depression glass). The stemware was done in azure (blue) and a light pink that is distinctly different from the pink of the depression era. Colored stemware in "Navarre" is usually "signed" on the bottom - but Fostoria sold the "Navarre" pattern to Lenox in 1983, and Lenox continued production of the stemware for four more years. The Lenox-produced stemware is often "signed" Lenox, and the pink color appears to be somewhat different from Fostoria's pink."

http://www.ourhouseantiques.com/pattid.php

As to a compelling reason not to mix Fostoria's production with Lenox's production, that would depend on whether yours is clear or pink. If pink the color could be different, otherwise, without a signature, I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference since Lenox used Fostoria's molds and patterns. In addition, they produced quality glass, as did Fostoria.

3. Tomasball

Tomasball New Member

Thanks. Just for the record, mine is clear.

judy likes this.
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Maybe you could purchase a fairly inexpensive piece of the stemware made by Lenox & compare it to the ones you have right now. Set several pieces of the same on a table to see if you can see a difference or if they all blend together.

Peggy

judy and dgbjwc like this.
  5. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Ooooh, I have a single piece of this; the champagne goblet (clear)...it is a beautiful etch. I was not aware it was produced by Lenox as well. Now I wonder which one I have?

judy likes this.
  6. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

technically 'Nararre' is the name Fostoria gave their plate etching #327. The etching was used on various glass patterns and stems made by Fostoria, which may also have other etchings. One example is the #2496 'Baroque' pattern, that has the Navarre etch as well as several other etchings. I'm guessing you're referring to the #6016 stem, which is also decorated with other etchings.

I have some Fostoria stemware of this era that has the Fostoria mark etched on the bottom and centered on the stem; it's fairly tiny and hard to see. I would guess that any Lenox reproductions would not be marked.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  7. Tomasball

Tomasball New Member

I think maybe you did a typo there? Replacements gives that number as 327.

judy likes this.
  8. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

that corrects #327 is the plate etching number. any of your stems have the Fostoria mark?

judy likes this.
  9. Tomasball

Tomasball New Member

None of my originals seem to have a mark. I will have to get them all out and look closely sometime soon. I just noticed that some of my cordials have the Lenox mark. It's very subtle. The cordials that say Lenox are a few millimeters taller than the ones that don't. In addition to the stems I also have some salad plates.

judy likes this.
  10. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

Lenox marked their pieces with an acid etch, but their are no doubt pieces that missed getting marked, or so faint as to be unseen. Fostoria only marked theirs in later production years so unmarked pieces are more likely Fostoria production but no guarantee. The mark is most likely how sellers that list them as Lenox have determined that is who made their pieces.

IMHO I wouldn't really consider Lenox's production reproductions since Fostoria sold them the original molds and patterns as well as the rights to those.

Also, I don't think Lenox produced anything other then stems in the pattern, whereas Fostoria did produce many many items, bowls, candlesticks etc, with that etch.

judy likes this.
  11. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Thank you for all this info! I have a large set of Navarre that belonged to my MIL. It was one of her chosen patterns when she married in 1940. I'm giving the set to my niece but need to replace some pieces that have chips. I'll definitely check out the Lenox.

judy likes this.
  12. Bluefly

Bluefly New Member

I just bought some Navarre stems at an estate sale...one is marked Lenox, one is marked Fostoria, and the others have no mark at all!

Would these likely be Fostoria because they did not mark all their glasses? Or did a third company acquire the pattern in the last 30 or so years?

judy likes this.
  13. bercrystal

Welcome to our forum!!! :happy::happy::happy:

Fostoria Glass as a company no longer exists. You can read its history here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fostoria_Glass_Company

In answer to your question about the marks is that they did not mark much of their glass & since they were in operation for almost 100 years they made a lot of glass in everything from pressed to etched to cut in all sizes, shapes & colors. :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::D:D

judy likes this.
  14. Bluefly

Bluefly New Member

Thank you, Peggy. I knew that Fostoria sold the Navarre pattern to Lenox around 1980. It is my understanding that Lenox then made them from 1982-92. But I did not know if perhaps another company began making them after 1992. I guess I should assume the unmarked Navarre glasses are Fostoria, made sometime after 1937 but before 1982.

judy likes this.
  15. bercrystal

That is what I would assume also.

judy and Bluefly like this.
  16. cpnaylor

cpnaylor New Member

Do you know if the Lenox blue and Fostoria blue are the same color?

17. bercrystal

I do not know for abslolute if they are or are not the same color. However, since the chemical compostion of the glass can affect the color of the glass, unless they are using the exact same formula I would have to think the color would be different.

I just checked Replacements & I know they are just photos, but the Lenox blue looks lighter than the Fostoria blue.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted