Featured Found 4 watercolors(?) of oriental characters all signed Ling - does anyone know of this artist?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Dec 31, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these at a thrift store today; they are - I believe - watercolors, but are behind glass so I can't be 100% sure.
    And they are all signed Ling.
    They are very detailed and almost..comedic? (at the least they all look like they were real characters in real life!)
    And if you notice the women have aprons on & look like they are working, while both men are relaxing with pipes!
    Any information on artist and/or thoughts on paintings would be greatly appreciated.
    PS - Happy New Year!

ART PAINTING A GROUP LING 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING A GROUP LING 1AAA.JPG ART PAINTING A GROUP LING 1BAA.JPG ART PAINTING A GROUP LING 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING A GROUP LING 2AAA.JPG ART PAINTING A GROUP LING 2BAA.JPG ART PAINTING A GROUP LING 2CAAA.JPG ART PAINTING A GROUP LING 3AA.JPG

Hi2022, judy, Boland and 2 others like this.
  2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

3. Houseful

4. journeymagazine

Thank you Houseful!
    Happy New Year!

5. Houseful

Happy bargain Hunting for 2022 Journey:)

Born2it, Hi2022 and judy like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Great job in finding that!

There are lots of "sold" paintings of his online. Some show price and some do not. Here is one that does give the sold price, but doesn't give the date sold:
    https://www.lelandlittle.com/items/132414/kam-cheong-ling-chinese-1911-1991-woman-sewing/

Here is a little more biographical information about him.
    http://macauantigo.blogspot.com/2012/09/kam-cheong-ling-1911-1991.html

Hi2022 and Houseful like this.
  7. journeymagazine

The background info helps immensely - Thank You!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted