Found a beautiful little cup in a box with my Mother's things. What?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ulilwitch, Dec 21, 2020.

1. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Ok, my Mother never collected cups of any type so when I opened this box and found a cup and several other items I couldn't figure out where she displayed it in her house. I don't know anything about it actually, as you can tell. I don't even know where she got it. It is pretty but I wonder where it came from and if is something worth keeping or maybe it was just something she thought was lovely. Mom was from Virginia so that doesn't seem to be a clue. I am just stumped. Can't find anything on it either. Anyone know anything about it or have any cup1.jpg cup3.jpg cup4.jpg cup5.jpg ideas?

judy and KSW like this.
  2. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

I am not an expert in this topic but it reminds me of an "English scenery" teacup which was a popular genre in the UK. Particularly it is reminiscent of those by Wood and Sons

ulilwitch, judy, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I think it's Jenny Lind, by Royal Staffordshire. Check replacements.com.

ulilwitch, judy, KSW and 2 others like this.
  4. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

I'd've said Adams, but Royal Staffordshire sounds good. And so does Wood ... :)

ulilwitch, judy, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Churchill ?

ulilwitch, judy and KSW like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Late 19th, Staffordshire factory, polychrome embellished transfer. Several factories did that pattern, the handle shape is what matters.

ulilwitch and judy like this.
  7. ulilwitch

Thank you.

8. ulilwitch

Thank you.

9. ulilwitch

Thank you.

10. ulilwitch

Thank you.

11. ulilwitch

Thank you.

12. ulilwitch

Thank you.

13. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

The cup shape is London shape which started around 1820 and continued for many years. The coloured prints were popular from the 1850s onwards. I think that Ownedbybear is right in putting it late C19th

Draft saved Draft deleted