Found a couple of very sheer dresses with heavy gold fringed hems

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by afantiques, Nov 1, 2014.

1. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I don't suppose there is any chance they used real solid gold beads to weigh them down?

1-P1030999.JPG

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Ooooh. Can we see pictures of the dresses?

3. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

4. afantiques

I put about three of them on the dummy in my shed, but tomorrow I will try and do something a bit more illustrative.

They are possibly silk and about as transparent as a nylon stocking, so I imagine they were worn over something other than just plain flesh or skimpy underwear..

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  5. 6rivets

6rivets Active Member

Looks early 1990s, India import from here.

6. afantiques

I think they'll look a bit older if I can show the whole thing, the main fabric looks pretty ancient.

7. Tauriel

Tauriel Active Member

What little I can see looks like silk crepe cut on the bias with beadwork...I'm getting a 30's vibe...BWDIK? not much lol! that zig zag hem line is throwing me off though.... hmmm

And if indeed it is older I would expect something like this to have had a nice silk, cut on the bias full length spaghetti strap slip worn underneath. Can't wait to see the whole dress as well as the others!

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They made dresses like that back in the 20s too. Hard to know what's up without seeing the whole thing.

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I'm lining up to see as well. Can't wait!

10. afantiques

Here are somepictures of the transparent dress.
    1-P1040009.JPG
    1-P1040010.JPG
    1-P1040011.JPG

There are a couple of hem length danglers from the shoulder with tassels on the ends. These seem totally useless unless they are to demonstrate the wearer never goes anywhere near any form of machinery.

1-P1040012.JPG

There is another quite opaque lilac (?) garment with similar hem. This one is a double layer of cloth of some sort.

1-P1040015.JPG

And the hem

1-P1040016.JPG

Last, a close up of the hem of the dress first shown.
    1-P1040017.JPG

1920s or 1930s? Would this sort of thing have any value or should I just dump them? They are neither my size nor style, though I'd wear them for a bet if I could fit into them.

11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

12. Messilane

13. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Af - refer to Downton Abbey for similars.

:)

14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Might the two items go together? The first one to be worn over the second? The bead colors look so similar... and both have the serrated edge.

I can't tell if the colors would go together.

Fig

15. Messilane

DOH! I don't know why I didn't notice that as well!

16. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi AF,
    When I was in my Edwardian styled apartment. I found a wonderful 1880s adjustable dress makers dummy on a fancy iron stand. She was in the trash and became mine. Now what to do with it. I ended up putting it in my bedroom but alas she was nude. I bought a gorgeous silk satin 1920s wedding dress for the dummy. When I put it on her it was a little girly looking so I draped a machine gun cartridge belt over her shoulder to her waist. It made a great statement to me but my friends just rolled their eyes.
    greg

17. afantiques

Might the two items go together? The first one to be worn over the second? The bead colors look so similar... and both have the serrated edge. I can't tell if the colors would go together.

The two lowest pictures show the two together, almost. The sheer one has a slight lilac tinge similar to the opaque one and they came from the same place, well, the same sale lot anyway.

I don't know anyone who could model them, and random girls off the street would be unlikely to understand my request with any sympathy.

Figtree3 likes this.
  18. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Can't you just see cousin Daisy in this?! Perfect for a night at a jazz club. :cool:

pearlsnblume likes this.
  19. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Afantiques, if there is no tag/label/other indication of the size of this dress --

Could you, without stretching the material, take measurements?

Leave the dress(es) on the dress form --
    Shoulder strap width
    Distance between outer edges of shoulder straps
    Armhole circumference (or just length of "drop" of armhole)
    Width across bust (dress form will show where this measurement should be taken)
    Waist circumference (the dress form should have a slight narrowing where the "waist" would be)
    Overall length from shoulder strap to both highest and lowest bottom hem of the dress.

20. 6rivets

6rivets Active Member

Okay, seaming and neckline are clearly mid-1920s. Nice!

Lucille.b likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted