Found a group of "unofficial" certificates from cruise lines; crossing Int. date line, equator, etc.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Apr 25, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these certificates in a box full of ship cruise mementos of a couple/family who went on a LOT of cruises (there are a bunch of different passenger lists (they used to give everyone a list of every other passenger's name who would be on your ship?!), brochures & maps from unusual places like Uganda, Russia, the Artic, etc.. even one solar eclipse cruise they went on(!) and a lot more - it's a large box full.

The certificates are fun things (with Beautiful artwork on some!) for crossing the equator, crossing the international date line, etc.. Is there a name for these certificates in general (I found the Golden Dragon is for people who have crossed the Int. date line)?

It's been sitting in a closet for months now & I am thinking of selling the whole box on eBay to make some money - what would I call it; travel memorabilia?
    Or if I sold the certificates separately as a group is there a name for what these are?
    I am thinking of keeping the Swedish American Lines one with Neptune & the nude deco era looking lady (the dark blue one) - I think that one would look like beautiful art if framed!

Thank you!
    PS - below are some of the other things I found - there's a lot more & hopefully I'll find more cool things to share!

COLLECTIBLE CRUISE LINE A GROUP CERTIFICATES 1AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE CRUISE LINE A GROUP CERTIFICATES 2AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE CRUISE LINE A GROUP CERTIFICATES 3AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE CRUISE LINE A GROUP CERTIFICATES 4AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE CRUISE LINE A GROUP CERTIFICATES 5AA.JPG
    HERE ARE SOME MORE FUN THINGS I FOUND JUST ON THE TOP LAYER - I HAVEN'T GONE THROUGH IT ALL YET; I LIKE THE "LONELY WIDOWS" PASSENGER LIST & THE GAME RESERVE MAP IS GORGOUS!

COLLECTIBLE CRUISE LINE A GROUP CERTIFICATES 6AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE CRUISE LINE A GROUP CERTIFICATES 6CAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE CRUISE LINE A GROUP CERTIFICATES 6GAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE CRUISE LINE A GROUP CERTIFICATES 1A_AA.JPG

Darkwing Manor and Bronwen like this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Cruiseline travel ephemera.

Going on a cruise to Uganda would be magical :hilarious:

judy, quirkygirl, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I think you should hold on to these for later years, when cruise ships become a vessel of the past.

4. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The only remembrance that I have when crossing the Equator is a small hole in my earlobe.
    Got it in Neptune's Court when we crossed the Equator in a submarine in the 1950s.
    greg

judy and Darkwing Manor like this.
  6. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thank you for your service!

judy and komokwa like this.
  7. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I think that has already happened!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted