Featured Found a Large (42" x 19") Russian Religious Poster(?), Print(?) of a Angel w/Shield & Flaming Sword

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Oct 29, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this old poster? or print? of the angel Gabriel(I think) with shield & flaming sword at a local thrift store today. I'm pretty sure that is is Cyrillic letters at the top so this is Russian? (Anyone know what it says?)
    It's really tall - 42" x 19" (poster only inside glass; doesn't count the frame)
    Has anyone seen anything like this/this size? Is it from a Russian church?
    Is it a poster? A print? (I can't find a artist's signature or a printer's name or mark)
    Any idea of it's age?
    It looks like it has some wear on bottom left; is that from original painting that was copied in print/poster?
    The colors on it are really something!
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!

ART PRINT RELIGOUS ANGEL RUSSIAN PRINT POSTER 42 x 19  1AAA.JPG ART PRINT RELIGOUS ANGEL RUSSIAN PRINT POSTER 42 x 19  1BAA.JPG ART PRINT RELIGOUS ANGEL RUSSIAN PRINT POSTER 42 x 19  1EAA.JPG ART PRINT RELIGOUS ANGEL RUSSIAN PRINT POSTER 42 x 19  1FAA.JPG ART PRINT RELIGOUS ANGEL RUSSIAN PRINT POSTER 42 x 19  5AA_aA.JPG ART PRINT RELIGOUS ANGEL RUSSIAN PRINT POSTER 42 x 19  34AA.JPG ART PRINT RELIGOUS ANGEL RUSSIAN PRINT POSTER 42 x 19  5AaAaA.JPG ART PRINT RELIGOUS ANGEL RUSSIAN PRINT POSTER 42 x 19  1KAA.JPG

Here is one photo taken outside - colors still pop!

ART PRINT RELIGOUS ANGEL RUSSIAN PRINT POSTER 42 x 19  5AA.JPG

KSW, mmarco102, antidiem and 5 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very impressive, journey.
    The flaming sword is one of the attributes of the archangel Uriel, so it is probably him.
    @Figtree3 , @April07 , @Branka ?:)
    (Branka, I know you're not a Russian speaker, but we don't know for sure it is Russian, and I figured you could read the script anyway :))

KSW, Lucille.b and judy like this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It is in an older script, but I believe it is the Archangel Michael, known in some faiths as Saint Michael the Archangel. The fiery sword is one of his attributes also. The sword supports my reading of the letters. Wait for @April07 to make sure, but I think this is correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_(archangel)

kentworld, KSW, Lucille.b and 4 others like this.
  4. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

Agree with @Figtree3. The text says "Saint [Main] Archangel Michael"

kentworld, KSW, Lucille.b and 3 others like this.
  5. journeymagazine

Is it in Russian (Cyrillic)?
    How old do you think it is & where is it from? (I'm guessing a church with it's high ceilings?
    Thank you all!

KSW likes this.
  6. April07

The text is in prerevolutionary Russian (before the reform of the language). But that doesn't mean it's necessarily from that time - might be a stylization.
    It could be used in a church.

Any Jewelry, Bakersgma and Figtree3 like this.
  7. April07

Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
  8. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Confirmed. Russian. Archangel Michael. Old Slavic church language, pre Russian.

kentworld, KSW, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  9. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Btw, it looks like poster. It is common for people that can’t afford painted icon to have a poster of their saint.

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. journeymagazine

Thank you so much!
    A final question to be sure I describe it right - can I say it is a chromolithograph or should I say poster? Would taking the backing off help tell?
    Again thank you - I am grateful!

KSW likes this.
  11. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

How about describing it as a print?
    Chromolithograph is also good. Same thing, right

KSW likes this.
  12. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

A chromolithograph is, as the word says, a color lithograph. The term is usually used in reference to color lithographic prints from around the turn of the last century (late 19th, early 20th centuries). There have been many discussions on the forum about how to identify lithographs under magnification vs photo mechanical prints (dots, etc.) You should be sure it is a lithograph before describing it as such.

KSW, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. journeymagazine

I will look for pixels (dots) now.
    This is a rare piece right? Especially the size?
    Can I say it is from a 19th century Slavic church?

KSW likes this.
  14. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Journey you find the coolest things!

KSW likes this.
  15. journeymagazine

:) - It's also why I post so many things here; the "old & unusual" stuff I find I know that I like it, but I usually don't know what it is!

KSW likes this.
  16. April07

I don't think it's Church Slavonic. The spelling of the word Michael would be Міхайл, and here we have Михайлъ. It's Russian, in pre-reform (pre-1918) spelling.

KSW and Figtree3 like this.
  17. April07

The difference between Church Slavonic and Russian is that the first is a fabricated liturgical language used in Russian services (a synthesis of old Bulgarian, Russian, and Greek), and the second can have different spellings if we look at the texts before and after 1918.

18. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Ok

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    KSW likes this.
  19. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

We are all in agreement that it is Russian icon with image of Archangel Michael. And it is some type of print, not traditional painted wood icon. Writing on the icon being pre or post 1918 Russian language is not very critical because its print (but it is interesting). It would be critical if it was painted icon to determine its approx age. If I am to guess the age of this print, my guess would be 70s. And if I don’t already have over 10 icons in my house, I’ll gladly purchase yours :)

KSW likes this.
  20. April07

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted