Found a old(?) Mercedes Daimler poster at thrift store - real old or made to look old new copy?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Feb 4, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a friend's thrift store just as it came in. It'd obviously been sitting somewhere for a while because it had a layer of dust on it - including a layer on the wire across the back to hang it with!

I got excited but when I looked it up there were a lot of them & selling for really cheap prices.

Did they make a lot or was it just made for sale/decoration & that's why they're so inexpensive?

Mine measures 16 x 25 from the front/inside the matting, but from the back measuring inside the chrome/stainless frame it measures 20 x 29.5

Is there an "original" and is mine one? How can you tell? (It doesn't have a Printed in China (or USA) but there is something in German - I think -near bottom left (see 2nd to last photo)

PS - If it is just a poster made for mass selling then I think I'm going to keep it; I think it's a great looking poster & should have been in the Mercedes dealerships of it's time!

Thank you!

ART POSTER MECEDES DAIMLER POSTER 1AA.JPG ART POSTER MECEDES DAIMLER POSTER 3AA.JPG ART POSTER MECEDES DAIMLER POSTER 4AA.JPG ART POSTER MECEDES DAIMLER POSTER 5AA.JPG ART POSTER MECEDES DAIMLER POSTER 8AA.JPG

Born2it and Darkwing Manor like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that's retro. The internet says the original dates to 1914. The German reads "Workshop for Graphic Art Stuttgart."

Debora

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They reproduced a TON of similar posters in the 1980s. They were in dorm rooms all over the country. I'm betting there is 1980s printer info under the matt somewhere. Portal Publications if memory serves, or similar.

Darkwing Manor and Debora like this.
  4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

5. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

the cheap backing and frame is usually a good sign its a reproduction

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  6. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

And I found an original - it's 40" tall
    So I don't feel bad keeping this one!
    Thank you!