FOUND ANTIQUE SALZARD VIOLIN - REAL?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Sep 8, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a local thrift store yesterday - they had it in a bin with the toy/computer game guitars! When I did a quick google of the name Salzard violin I didn't see one selling for undar $1,000!
    But I also saw somewhere that the name should say Salzard Paris?
    Is this a real Salzard or a copy like most Stratavarius (?) violins you see today?
    Also, it came with 2 bows & 1 of them has striped wood which I've never seen before - is that real wood or did someone actually take the time to paint it like that?
    Thanks you!
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MUSIC VIOLIN SALZARD 1AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MUSIC VIOLIN SALZARD 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MUSIC VIOLIN SALZARD 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MUSIC VIOLIN SALZARD 3AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MUSIC VIOLIN SALZARD 6AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MUSIC VIOLIN SALZARD 6CAA.jpg

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

judy, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

As recommended in the other thread ....I think the best way for you to get a value/verification on this is to take it to a reputable violin shop in your area. Also bows can sometimes turn out to be worth much more than the violin itself so make sure you have those looked at too.

4. journeymagazine

I will - thanks aaroncab & thank you charlie cheswick!

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

From the back of that violin, someone played the heck out of it. I second the recommendation of taking it to a violin expert along with the bows. A good "stick" has been known to sell for thousands.

judy, Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  6. journeymagazine

I will - think it's OK to list just the violin now on eBay?
    Also, the reverb listing said the Salzard was a made in Germany? I thought they were from France (the labels I found said Salzard Paris)?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. charlie cheswick

on the reverb listing, if you go to pic 7. the text logo is very similar to yours.

if you scroll right to the last pic, theres a inside logo pic that says 'made in germany'

i would think yours was made before they had to print the 'made in' info

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

56EABFCE-2CAA-4AA7-AB20-DFD40B37ECF8.jpeg Does yours have impressed mark like this one? It’s hard to tell from photo.

aaroncab likes this.
  9. charlie cheswick

10. journeymagazine

Just looked & found it!

AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MUSIC VIOLIN SALZARD 8A.jpg

Christmasjoy and anundverkaufen like this.
  11. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Just my 2¢, I do not see the back imprint on any of the ones selling on Ebay. The image quality seems very good, but it is possible they are not good enough or not always a mark used.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

13. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Ah! phewy on those ebayers :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::)

i need help likes this.
  14. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

As to bows; there were bows made from what was called snakewood, with a striped pattern; there also were bows painted to imitate that pattern. As with the violin itself, your best bet is to take it to a reputable shop. Online info will be quite general, and may or may not apply to your particular instrument.

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. journeymagazine

Thanks - It was said the bow is painted? I couldn't tell but seems like a lot of work; are snakewood bows more expensive? (I put violin on eBay with both bows because I thought the 2nd bow as painted to look like snakewood - if it could be real & they are more expensive then I'll revise so it comes with just the 1 bow)
    Here are some close ups
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MUSIC VIOLIN SALZARD 9AA_AA resized.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MUSIC VIOLIN SALZARD 9AAAA resized.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MUSIC VIOLIN SALZARD 9AAA resized.jpg

16. all_fakes

At one time (maybe around 1900-1950) there was a craze for snakewood bows - they were thought to be fancy. Today, it is understood that pernambuco is preferable for bows, and most snakewood bows aren't especially valuable. - snakewood is simply not a good bow-making wood for current playing styles, though it looks interesting. (During the baroque period many bows were made of snakewood; it is more suited to that playing style.) There are expensive bows made from a variety of woods of course, and a good snakewood bow may be more valuable than a bad pernambuco one.
    Cheap bows were sometimes painted to imitate snakewood, and that is probably the case with this one, though it is hard to say from photos. A good violin shop could tell you instantly if this was real or painted, and what it was worth.
    Anyone who sells a violin or bow without taking it to a reputable shop first is probably taking a risk - one could sell a $10,000 instrument for hundreds.
    Violins are among the hardest instruments to evaluate via internet research, IMHO. I certainly can't tell from photos.
    And bows - if I posted a photo of my own bows, I doubt anyone could tell which was the $75 one, and which the $750 one. I do have an old painted "snakewood" bow also, appraised at around $75. It is quite dark, and wouldn't photograph at all well.

Figtree3, judy, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  17. all_fakes

duplicate post, not sure why...

aaroncab likes this.
  18. all_fakes

duplicate post.

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

shakey fingers !!
    too much bow-ing...!! ;):hilarious::hilarious:

Fid, sabre123 and Christmasjoy like this.
  20. Juliann Stainbrook

Juliann Stainbrook New Member

I have a Salzard it looks like an authentic stamp, however I believe it looks refinished which would devalue it significantly— mines been refinished unfortunately, but sounds like a dream and I’m not going to sell it but play it so I don’t care, lol. But they’ll for sound and not perceived value and you can’t go wrong!

Draft saved Draft deleted