Found Asian Ceramic Under Bamboo Wickerwork. Help needed!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brooklynwynter, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Brooklynwynter

Brooklynwynter New Member

I found this vase?/sake jar? at a secondhand store awhile back and just noticed the wicker coming apart, showing a ceramic painted geisha scene with Japanese? Inscription. Any ideas what kind of pottery this is? Translation? And why cover up something so pretty? The vase is cracked but unsure if it was there before purchase or if my kids dropped it. Lol Please, any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Just a thought,but maybe it was cracked and someone wove the wicker so they could keep using it ? It looks awfully pretty to be covered up.

judy, Brooklynwynter and komokwa like this.
  3. Brooklynwynter

I thought of this too but why would anyone go to such an extent when they could just buy a new one. That's why I am curious to know what time period it is from. My luck would be they patched it up for sentimental reasons because their ancestors ashes were in it or something...

judy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hello Brooklynwynter, welcome to the forum.
    Your vase or jug is Chinese.
    Could you please post pictures of the entire piece? And an indication of the size? And when you post pictures please click on full image, like this:
    [​IMG]
    The lady is Chinese, so not a Geisha. Geishas are Japanese, they can be recognized by a specific hairdo, make up, and a kimono with a deep plunge at the back:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Aquitaine, Brooklynwynter and judy like this.
  5. Brooklynwynter

Lol I thought it was Chinese, just didn't realize the term Geisha was Japanese. The pandas on the Wickerwork kind of tipped me off. Lol I will try to send/post full pics. It is the size of your average vase. Like my elbow to my wrist? Sorry, I hate measurements. Now let's see what I can do about those pics...

6. Brooklynwynter

7. Any Jewelry

That was quick!
    Assuming you have an average elbow to wrist length (you never know:)), it gives an idea of the size. It looks a bit like a lamp base, is there a hole in or near the bottom?
    And could the panda mat have been slipped between the wicker top and bottom at a later date? Is there room to do that?

8. Brooklynwynter

Also, thank you all for your helpful replies. Everyone is so kind here. Very welcoming! :)

9. Any Jewelry

Pleasure.:)
    A Geisha is a specific Japanese woman who has been trained to entertain men who have nothing better to do with their time. That is why her appearance is different from other Japanese women in kimono. So a Chinese woman is never a Geisha, and only a few Japanese women are actual Geishas.

Brooklynwynter likes this.
  10. Brooklynwynter

One of my first pics is of the bottom. No hole. I don't think it could be a lamp base, but you may be right that something might have attached to the top. But why the wicker over the design? And the more I move it, the more I think my kids cracked it. The pressure of the tightly woven wicker is cracking it more. I believe that is what I hear...better not bust open to a family of bugs! :nailbiting:

11. Any Jewelry

Do you think it will survive long enough for anyone to come up with a definite identification?:eek:

12. Brooklynwynter

Thank you for the info! ;) I guess I use the term Geisha too loosely when referring to Asian "entertainers". I was also thrown by the drink in her hand. Assumed it was saké and therefore this might have been a saké jug. Is saké Japanese in origin too? So much learning just because my girls played too rough. Lol Darn you kids! :bored:

13. Brooklynwynter

I think so. As long as I keep my fingers crossed and not on the vase. ;)

14. Brooklynwynter

I just realized what you meant by that. It looks like the painting goes up into the top wicker portion so I am going to guess no? But I could be (and usually am) wrong.

15. Any Jewelry

Yes saké is Japanese, but Chinese have similar drinks.
    Just so you won't be too hard on the kids, it is not a priceless antique. The painting is 20th century. The text is probably a well known poem, the painting illustrates the subject of the poem.

16. Brooklynwynter

Thank you! Do you know why they would cover it up?

17. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

Why are Chianti jugs sometimes wrapped something like this?

Perhaps it began as a way of protecting the bottles in shipment, and became a tradition.

18. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Not to be flippant or dense, but why did someone in 1967 buy a can of white paint an (antique) ant Art Deco desk........because the old was out and they could "update" it.......................why did my ancestor take the tops off of 3 blanket chests and turn them in cupboard doors................in 1798?

19. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME, Brooklyn!! I think you've already discovered this is a pretty warm site!! We also manage to throw some fun in as well!! Interesting jug/vase you have.....too bad it "developed" a crack!!!:(:(:(:sorry::sorry:

Brooklynwynter, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe it's old and someone wanted to get it out of the country by hiding it under newer weaving and cutesy pandas...

Draft saved Draft deleted