Featured Found in box of fishing lures, toy?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Del Secrest, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Del Secrest

Del Secrest New Member

I bought a small box of fishing lures, some jitterbugs and others, none in great condition, but should get my money back. But, there was one, hand made, wood, painted lure. The hooks had the barbs melted into balls, and a cord tied to it. It looks old, but could it just be a decorative piece, or an old toy, thanks
    E01955CB-5EFC-4FAD-801F-70B98EA2B8E8.jpeg

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Probably a Great Depression Era, handmade, working lure at one time. Altered for a child to play with. Could certainly be turned back into a fish-able lure with new hooks.

Guessing it is a straight-thru wire from head to tail and not a spring where the prop is at. Looks like the original old paint-job too.

I personally love to fish with 'prop' lures and would have fun throwing it! ;)

3. Del Secrest

Del Secrest New Member

no spring, just the wire. Any idea of a value?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Modern decor piece.

5. wiscbirddog

Sadly old, homemade lures have very little value to collectors. I would guess $2-$5 would be about it. :(

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  6. wiscbirddog

Terry & I will just have to disagree. . .can't see a modern decor item going to the trouble of having a 'wire thru' construction and the white paint slopping onto the rusty hooks.

Houseful, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  7. Brazos

Brazos Active Member

That looks like someone converted a home made lure to hang on a Christmas tree. That would not be uncommon. There are a number of collectors for home made baits and the value is more than $5.00. I would suggest going to "Joe's Old Lures" chat board for a value and possible sale. That is where the serious tackle collectors hang out.

bercrystal and Houseful like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted