Featured Found this on the wall of the homestead grainery -

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lisa hanson, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Lisa hanson

Lisa hanson Student of the Past

Possible artistic way to display a counter weight and weight hooks for an old grain scale? Otherwise, I have no idea;) counterweight .jpg

2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If that thing is wired on there the way I think it is, your idea seems like the only explanation.

lloyd249, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  4. Lisa hanson

Lisa hanson Student of the Past

I totally agree! That was exactly what I was
    Thank you all for your help. It's nice to know I have somewhere to go when I'm totally stumped;)

lloyd249, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Someone made sure it was going to stay Safely anchored!!:happy:

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

We have a metal beam (covered with thin luan) out on the back porch. This came from my Granddad’s farm. When my Dad inherited it (he HATED antiques) along with other items; he’d immediately spray paint it to make it look “new”. I shudder; but it found a home on this rail. I have a clear thumbtack holding up the right end so it is secure to the rail...
    Leslie

Attached Files:

Aquitaine likes this.
  7. Adrian Lewis

Adrian Lewis Journeyman

These are called Roman balance scales and were used to weigh everything, not just grain. These look 19thC.

Northern Lights Lodge likes this.
  8. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hi @Adrian Lewis
    Good to know what their real name is. My dad told him that Granddad said that they used it for meat. The farm produced meat, veg, fruit, poultry and other items...so could have been used for a number of items. Yes, undoubtedly from the 19th C. The farm operated between the 30's and 50's.

Leslie

Draft saved Draft deleted