Found vintage lithograph

Discussion in 'Books' started by Bostonmom, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Bostonmom

Bostonmom New Member

I'm not sure what i have here, but I purchased a book and inside found a lithograph of a letter written by the author, Samuel Hopkins Adams. Various collections of his works and manuscripts exist at a few universities, but I didn't find anything about a letter to the reader. Any ideas if it's valuable?

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Unlikely if it's a lithograph (which is a multiple.) Would have to see it.

Debora

3. Bostonmom

Bostonmom New Member

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

no date.....likely came with every book..

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

7. i need help

Thank you, :)

8. Bostonmom

Bostonmom New Member

Yes, I found this photo first with a quick Google search but no others and no mention of it anywhere beyond the etsy post. Not mentioned in any of the collections libraries. I guess I should assume it's a collector's item like the etsy poster claims?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Bostonmom

Bostonmom New Member

I found the book for sale in dozens of places, no letter tho.

10. i need help

I’m just assuming, many were lost as it’s loose.

11. Bostonmom

Bostonmom New Member

I'm sure that's true. Thanks for your help, all!

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would not consider insert a collector's item. It's a mass produced promotional insert with the reproduced signature of a long forgotten children's book author. Think the etsy seller is smoking something. This book is widely available in multiple editions. Even with dust jacket and insert, there is little-to-none collector interest. As an example, here's one on eBay that remains unsold.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Santa-...040774&hash=item56a7e7f2c6:g:ie8AAOSwa0VaTdEo

Debora

13. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

A book with dust jacket is more valuable than one without. A book signed by the author is more valuable than one unsigned. It stands to reason that a book with a scarce insert, even if originally mass produced, would be more valuable than a book without the insert. These inserts seem to have been included with book club editions of the landmark titles, and the signatures are printed on (not an actual signature). Most of these titles are not particularly valuable, but with an insert they might command an additional $5-10. The presence of a dust jacket would be more significant.

Jivvy and i need help like this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Doubtful this particular volume is even worth $5-$10 if internet sales are any guide.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted