Featured Four armed guy treading on a spotted pig - or a girl who needs to shave.

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Miscstuff, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Another auction find at $50 that I couldn't resist as I figure it saves me from having to travel to Bali and bring it all back through customs. I think it's a guy given the mustache but can only find a female god with four arms so I'm stumped. Have to call the @Any Jewelry wizard to help.
    Size 63.5cm (25") High 4.3Kg
    Cheers
    Stephen
    1s.jpg 2s.jpg 3s.jpg 4s.jpg 5s.jpg 6s.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The Reason Why Hindu Gods Have Multiple Arms and Heads

In Hinduism, Deities are often depicted with multiple arms. These arms become visible when they are battling with cosmic forces. The pictorial representation of Hindu Gods having multiple arms in the human form is the artist’s attempt to express the supreme powers of Gods. It shows their immense strength and power to perform numerous acts at a single time.

The multiple arms of Hindu Gods show the greater power of Deities over the humans.

Copied from
    https://vedicfeed.com/reason-why-hindu-gods-have-multiple-arms-and-heads/

patd8643, judy and Bronwen like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Now we just have to figure out which Diety.

Haven't seen AnyJewelry around for a few days.

4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

When I went to India, we went to some Hindu places of worship. I noticed that gods depicted as men had some female attributes like breasts, wore make up etc. When I asked why, our guide told me that the gods were androgynous (my word) and sometimes were depicted as male and sometimes as female and sometimes as a mixture. Any Jewelry will have a better explanation, I'm sure

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

at 50 bucks that would be hard to pass up........nice find Misc !

7. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

I know nothing...BUT your thread title made me look :D;). Great title !!!:happy:

clutteredcloset49 and komokwa like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous!
    Balinese, not very old, but artist made. It could be two manifestations of Vishnu, but in Balinese iconography things can be tricky.
    But assuming it is Vishnu, one manifestation of him holding the vessel with Amrita, the nectar of immortality.
    The hog is Vishnu as Varaha, an avatar of him as he rescued the earth Goddess Bhudevi who had descended into the primordial water to escape from a demon. No Bhudevi, no earth, so she had to be retrieved. And what creature is better at retrieving things (or Goddesses) from murky water than a hog?
    All deities have a masculine and a feminine aspect, usually depicted as separate beings. Shiva is androgynous, and is often portrayed as a hermaphrodite.

kyratango, Jivvy, Figtree3 and 6 others like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

He looks like someone I know, a Dutch-Indonesian guy. Can't think who. Not that you'd know him, but it will keep me awake tonight if I don't remember.:rolleyes: I am pretty sure he has two arms though.:hilarious:

KikoBlueEyes, Jivvy and i need help like this.
  10. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Thanks AJ. Also spotted a head being crushed. Must be a Vishnu enemy.
    Cheers
    Stephen
    a.jpg

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very informative again, @Any Jewelry .

I learn so much here.

Jivvy, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Draft saved Draft deleted