Framed embroidery piece

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by NewEngland, Jun 22, 2022.

1. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

Along with the George Washington crest, I found this piece of embroidery, framed at the same frame shop in NY. It appears to be very old. Does it look American? Why would someone pay to have it professionally framed....is it special? The piece measures 5 1/2" across. Thanks.

embroideryMediumA.jpg embroideryMediumC.jpg embroideryMediumD.jpg embroideryMediumE.jpg embroideryMedium.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It appears to be Chinese rank badge. Given shared gray fabric backing, obviously framed for the same home as your other item.

Debora

Figtree3 and NewEngland like this.
  3. NewEngland

Thanks, Debora. I had a suspicion that it was not American.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's not the finest embroidery. I wouldn't think old, old (1920s perhaps?) and done in the manner of a rank badge. Let's see what others think.

Debora

NewEngland likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, it is Chinese and older. But it is not a rank badge or inspired by rank badges, which are square and have a bird or animal in the centre to signify the rank.
    It is simply a sweet embroidery of a peony and a sailboat (rock?), probably a souvenir.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    NewEngland and Figtree3 like this.
  6. NewEngland

I wondered if it was a pyramid. Thanks, AJ and Debora.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you, Any Jewelry. I stand corrected and apologize to NewEngland for the misinformation.

Debora

NewEngland and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

You're welcome Debora. We live and learn. All of us.;)

NewEngland likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Or better said... We live and learn (from you!)

Debora

NewEngland likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

And from you.:)

NewEngland likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ha! I wish.

Debora

NewEngland likes this.
  12. NewEngland

I am always amazed at your knowledge (both of you!) and grateful for the education.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted