Framed intaglio plate - Richard Caton Woodville Jr - help ID'ing the scene

Discussion in 'Art' started by aaroncab, Sep 14, 2017.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Thrift find from the other day - framed metal intaglio printing plate (the actual plate) - frame is labeled "Grabado" which I believe translates to engraving or engraved in Spanish. It is a heavy solid wood frame with "Made in Spain" stamped on the back. The dimensions of the plate (visible portion) are 12" x 8.5". The etched scene is about 9" x 6".

On the plate itself is "UN RECONOCIMIENTO - dibujo por R.C. Woodville" - I've found various translations for "reconocimiento" including recognition, appreciation, reconnaissance, scout. Given the content of the drawing - perhaps it's one of the latter, reconnaissance or scout.

So... I'm assuming this is an etching done for printing of one of RC Woodville's drawings or paintings. I read up on Woodville - there was a Sr and a Jr. - Jr. being the more prolific artist famous for his military/battle scenes (early 19th to early 20th century) - so I believe this to be from Woodville Jr.

Google image search hasn't provided me with a match on this - and taking clear pictures of this has proven tricky - it is highly reflective. Any ideas on what this scene is representing?

~

37053003542_0c7673f471_k.jpg 37216157945_668b741cfe_k.jpg 37053015892_fe422c2b7a_k.jpg 36820128890_d4534517fb_k.jpg

Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Spanish village scene. From the style of the church tower, probably Castilla. Looks like they're going off to fight. Probably the French. (The Spanish believe that guerrilla fighting began in Spain during the Penninsular War.) Grabado means "print." And title likely "A Scout." Stamp font looks 1970s.

Debora

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Should add that looks like a decorative export.

Debora

4. aaroncab

Thanks Debora!

Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

If you printed with it the text would be backwards. :)

aaroncab likes this.
  6. aaroncab

Indeed - should have tipped me off! Plus the engraving on the plate is much too shallow to be a real plate. I didn't pay much luckily :)

anundverkaufen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted