Featured Framed photo of bride -- what era?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Pat P, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Is anyone familiar with popular bridal clothing from different eras? I'm not sure about what decade this framed photo might be from... if the woman's hair is short, I was thinking the '20s, but if it's just put up in back, then maybe the teens?

frame.JPG

bride.JPG

2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

3. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness, now there is a bridal portrait which is begging for us to see a photograph of the entire wedding party, including any young children as "train-bearers." ;)

KingofThings and Pat P like this.
  4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Scout, thanks... I'll check out the video. The WWI years seem maybe right to me.

Your turn, that's what I feel about a lot of old photos... want to see more to get more of a "picture" of what people's lives were like. With this one, I'd like to know why the bride doesn't look too happy.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Pat P, Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, I'd think 19-teens too as dress has quite a defined waist (which disappeared in the 1920s.

Debora

Pat P and KingofThings like this.
  7. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Fun video!
    I, too, noticed how sad she looks... I Googled "WWI brides" and it seems that it was entirely customary to pose with a serious face, unlike today's smiling brides and grooms. Interesting!

8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

19-teens. And that is one sumptuous outfit!! And look at the bouquet!

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Pat P and yourturntoloveit like this.
  10. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Figtree, I viewed all of the brides in your link.

Quote from #15 with interesting photo: "For Italian-American brides in the 1950s, it was customary to receive a porcelain doll dressed as a bride at the bridal shower, which was to be displayed on the bed after the wedding."

I also found #35 interesting -- I'm guessing the bride never thought that photo would be taken (terribly unflattering side view). :eek:

Thanks for posting that link, Figtree. ;)

Pat P, Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  11. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

I believe that Photo is from the Roaring 20's.

12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

1930.jpg double wedding 1924.jpg 1920.jpg 1899.jpg Hi,
    Here some from my family from 1899 to 1930.
    greg

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That was a VERY FUN video!! Thanks for posting Scout!!!

Pat P likes this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Both links were FUN to browse!!! Thanks!!!!

Pat P likes this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

You're welcome! I actually did not look closely at the later photos in the slide show. I'll go to do that now, to see #35. :)

Pat P likes this.
  16. scoutshouse

It's the bodice - with those bands running from shoulder to waist and the looser shirtwaist from 1900s are what stands out to me as earlier than 20s...

Skirts became more columnar and were often "pegged" in some way - I don't see that here, but top half looks right to me.

I noticed something I'd never seen before on the slide show Fig posted - seated brides posing with wedding party bouquets on their spread out dress:

Screen Shot 2016-01-31 at 10.18.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-31 at 10.24.49 AM.png

Not sure if these aren't flower arrangements from the reception :) lol They're bigger than the brides!

Screen Shot 2016-01-31 at 10.22.12 AM.png

yourturntoloveit and Figtree3 like this.
  17. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Great photograph. Great video. Greg, love the family photos.

scoutshouse likes this.
  18. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for all the comments and links... very helpful!

Greg, thanks for sharing your family photos... always cool to see members' families!

Combining what you all have said and what I've now seen online, I'm thinking the photo may be from the late teens or early '20s, though I'm leaning towards the late teens. To be safe, when I list it I'll probably say "circa 1920."

scoutshouse likes this.
  19. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Think I'll share my parents wedding photo from 1941. Not your usual wedding apparel!

My mother had traveled out to LA from NYC to visit a friend during her vacation, and met my dad there... he was a transplanted New Yorker who'd been living in LA for about 10 years. They fell in love and married within a few weeks, sans any kind of formal wedding. Hence my mom's polka dot dress. :)

I love seeing their smiles in the photo... miss them both and am getting a little teary....

upload_2016-1-31_14-19-57.png

20. scoutshouse

So sweet!

There's a picture of my parents sitting under a palm tree - she wore a herringbone suit she sewed herself - and I wore that skirt in high school.

Nice family, Greg! :)

yourturntoloveit and Pat P like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted