Frank Lloyd Wright "disappearing city"

Discussion in 'Books' started by neil moats, Jan 20, 2020.

1. neil moats

neil moats Member

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Se...dded=all&sortby=17&sts=t&tn=disappearing city

Assuming yours is published by William Farquhar Payson, and is a first edition (there should be the same date on the title page and on the copyright page, and no additional printings noted on the copyright page), and no significant flaws in the binding or notations in the text, etc., the best comparisons listed on abebooks.com would be the copy offered by Americana Books and the one by Burnside Rare Books. The big difference between these two is the presence and condition of the dust jacket. Having a dust jacket (or most of one) adds significant value. So the value of yours might reasonably be placed somewhere between these two examples.

komokwa, Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I was just looking there to try to help!

There is a pretty big gap in asking price between those two sellers, but what you said sounds reasonable. :)

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Fair condition, with about 1/2 a dust jacket. You might be able to get $100 or so out of it.

komokwa likes this.
  5. neil moats

neil moats Member

So if this (https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Bo...centlyadded=all&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title4) is considered "Good+" and this (https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Bo...centlyadded=all&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title3) is considered "Very Good", how is mine considered "Fine"? Is grading subjective or is there an objective scale? I understand sellers can likely call it whatever grade and ask whatever price they want. I just would like to know how to determine an objective grade if possible. Thanks for the replies!

6. 2manybooks

Who considered your copy to be "Fine"? I would certainly not describe it as such, as Fine should describe a book in nearly new condition in all respects. Condition is, of course, somewhat subjective. And there can be different condition ratings for the book itself and for the dust jacket. Here is a guide that describes widely agreed upon standards in the used book trade:
    https://www.modernlib.com/General/AB Bookman content.htm

I would add that there is not a professional grading scale for books, like there is for coins or stamps. There are simply too many variables.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  7. neil moats

neil moats Member

Sorry, I meant "fair". If one of those is Good+ and one of those is Very Good, how can mine be considered Fair. If the price difference between Good+ and Very Good is +/-$1000 where does mine sit? It's not for sale, I'd just like to know.

Of course I understand there isn't an objective third party grading but with that much of a price swing between two adjoining grades it makes a big difference.

Thanks for the reply.

8. Ghopper1924

I assume you read 2many's statement that there is not a professional grading scale for books. I said that your book looks fair because that's how it looks to me, from the limited pictures you provided. I've been buying and selling (mostly buying) books for decades, and I find it's best to be as conservative as possible, perhaps even going a grade down when in doubt, to achieve fairness on both sides of the table.

You yourself said your book is less than good. You were more correct than you knew, or (apparently) wanted to hear.

komokwa likes this.
  9. 2manybooks

As with anything in this business, there are no absolutes. Each seller can have their own standards, and with few comparative examples it can be more difficult to place an individual example. Without seeing the condition of the interior of your copy, it looks like the book itself would fit the general "good" standard of "the average used and worn book that has all pages or leaves present". It shows some significant fading/discoloration around the edges. The dust jacket has some significant losses (and we have not seen the back),and would probably be described as "fair". But it is there, which is more than most of the other copies can say. This is what bumps up the potential value.

10. neil moats

neil moats Member

My point is simple and there is no need for impudence. There is one for sale in what is obviously poorer condition than mine and one for sale in obviously better condition than mine. The poorer condition is listed as Good+. Is it Good+ or is it less than Good+? The better condition one is listed as Very Good. Is it Very Good or better than Very Good? Mine is objectively in the middle of whatever subjective condition those two books are in.

11. neil moats

neil moats Member

Thank you. This makes sense. I’ll work on some better pictures of the dust jacket and interior of the book in the morning.

12. neil moats

neil moats Member

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Sometimes there is....

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  14. Ghopper1924

As they used to say in decades past...Komo, you're the limit!! :)

komokwa likes this.
  15. 2manybooks

It is simple. One seller chooses to optimistically describe his book as good+ the other chooses to conservatively describe his book as very good. You have your book in hand - you can look at the other examples and assign whatever evaluation you think is fair.

neil moats, Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  16. neil moats

neil moats Member

Or as Einstein said, "If you can't explain something simply, you don't understand it well enough".

Thank you 2manybooks for taking time to answer my question and explain the process of book grading.

17. komokwa

Just havin your back , Ghopper !!!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  18. Ghopper1924

If and when we meet...the first beer's on me! :D

19. komokwa

first of many !!

pearlsnblume and Ghopper1924 like this.
  20. 2manycats

2manycats Well-Known Member

FWIW, if that book were mine, I'd put the jacket in a protective cover such as Demco or Brodart sells - the jacket is a great percentage of the book's value, and a protector will keep it from further harm. I'd urge you not to use any tape, either; can't say how many tears I've wept over tape on jackets....

Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted