Featured Frankoma (?) pottery animal

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thoughts on this? Frankoma? The bottom of the feet has some kind of glaze which seems a bit not like Frankoma, but curious if anyone has run into similar.

Also, would I call this a "cow", "ox"? Thanks.

ag7.jpg

ag1.jpg ag3.jpg ag6.jpg

2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Oh, that is neat! I don't think Frankoma - I've never seen them do this type of glaze effect. I would guess maybe a Chinese zodiac ox figurine?
    Don

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I was thinking Chinese even before reading Don's post.

4. Lucille.b

May well be Chinese. Does not seem like a brand new item ...or? Was even thinking 1950's or possibly 30's from the design. Several photos above taken in direct strong sun -- here are a few more. Thanks for taking a look.

aox2.jpg aox3.jpg aox7.jpg aox5.jpg

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Isn't he cute! Looks like a combination of sheep, elephant...don't recognize the south end tail...

6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It might be a different Oklahoma pottery, because of the red clay. You could ask on the Frankoma facebook page.

7. Lucille.b

Good suggestion. It is a piece that I've had for a while. AND ...its about time I figured out how to do a Facebook collectibles inquiry.

I see there are two groups IF I'm googling this correctly. (Facebook Frankoma friends and Facebook Frankoma collectors). Anyone know if one is better for this kind of thing?

A 13 year old set up my FB page years ago, I honestly never post on it, maybe five things total in half a decade. I know it can be a good research tool, so maybe the time is now to figure it out.

When I find the correct Frankoma site, do I just fill in my question in the field: "write something on this page" attach a photo, and that's it?

Thanks.

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and judy like this.
  8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Try the Frankoma Pottery Collectors site. I don't belong myself but I recognize at least one of the members. And yes, just post your question and attach your photos. It's really pretty easy once you do it for the first time.
    Don

9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Mystery solved: Shearwater Pottery. Thanks to Louis Edwards on the Vintage American Pottery Identification Facebook page.

Christmasjoy, cxgirl, judy and 2 others like this.
  10. Lucille.b

Wow, amazing Don. Please thank Louis Edwards. I would never have gotten that ID on my own. Thank you so much! :happy::happy:

I also appreciate everyone who took a look and/or commented.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Christmasjoy, judy and komokwa like this.
  11. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

12. Lucille.b

Thank you, Janetpjohn. Finding that similar one is fantastic.

Amazing the knowledge and help on these boards and the pottery id site.

Cheers. :happy:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

If you want to access the full conversation it's on the Facebook Vintage American Pottery Identification page. In case you can't reference the posts I've printed part of Louis Edwards' response below. This was right after I thanked him.

Louis Edwards Anytime! I have a funny story on mine. Picked mine up for 2 bucks at a thrift store in my early eBay days. I also thought Frankoma and listed it auction style as Frankoma. It sold for $6.50 but the buyer never paid or responded.

So I put it up on the old eBay Pottery message board and someone suggested Shearwater. I contacted a museum curator and Shearwater Pottery and both confirmed Shearwater and provided detailed info that’s in the listing.

We re-listed with the correct info and it sold for $202.50. That was my first experience with Shearwater and I’ve sold several pieces of Shearwater since.
    [​IMG]

14. Lucille.b

Thank you again for posting the photo on the FB page, Don.

It was great seeing the reply from Louis. Thank you for posting it. Love his Ebay story.:greedy:

And beyond thrilled to have the Shearwater ID.

I did pass on this piece when I first saw it (not signed --what were the chances of finding the maker?) But it was still there a week later, and it just seemed like it was interesting so got it thinking, "I'll never find the maker but I feel compelled to get this piece."

:happy::joyful::happy:

15. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Good instincts! Way to go, Lucille!

Draft saved Draft deleted