Featured Fred Harvey labels

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Potteryplease, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Hi. I bought this small 5" Hopi pot this weekend at an estate sale. As you can see, it has one of those old Fred Harvey stickers.

I was going to ask you all if the sticker could date the pot, and then I found the article that I've quoted below. I have no reason to doubt the article's veracity.

So I guess this thread is more just sharing info, though as always I welcome all your comments!

IMG_8880.jpeg IMG_8878.jpeg IMG_8879.jpeg

Everything below is from https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/12691911-hopi-pottery-tiles-sold-by-fred-harvey-company

Byron Harvey III also discussed the “Fred Harvey label,” used by the Harvey Company in his 1963 article for Plateau. He reported that it was still in use at that time, and that the labels were intended as price stickers, as well as identifiers of origin, and cost codes were also recorded on them. The original label was rectangular with clipped edges, had a black border and measured approximately one inch by three-quarters of an inch in size.

[​IMG]
    Typical label used by Fred Harvey Company on Hopi pottery.

The typeface changed, presumably in the 1920s, to a sleeker Art Deco style, and a white outer border was added at the same time.

[​IMG]
    Less commonly seen variation of the Harvey label, ca 1920s

The most common label used was FROM THE HOPI VILLAGES, and it appeared on most Hopi pottery plus some kachina dolls sold through company stores. There were labels for other tribal affiliations-for example, “From the Pueblo of Santa Clara”. The stickers were used primarily from the 1900s to the 1930s and are less commonly seen on articles dating from the 1940s to the 1960s, perhaps reflecting the diminishing quantity of Indian crafts sold through the company after the 1930s.

The foregoing was derived from our book [​IMG]Hopi & Pueblo Tiles: An Illustrated History

cxgirl, 2manybooks, judy and 7 others like this.
  2. Potteryplease

Well, I think I have a couple others, but for now here's a Santa Clara undecorated pot with a sticker:

IMG_8883.jpeg IMG_8884.jpeg

cxgirl, wlwhittier, Lucille.b and 8 others like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

fun to find these ....with the stickers !!!

cxgirl, Lucille.b, judy and 2 others like this.
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Nice research and valuable picking tool-thanks.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Love to find pots with the stickers. Thanks for the post.

One of my best N. A. finds ever was a Hopi tile with a FH sticker that had the word antique written on it, indicating it was old when originally sold. I determined that it was likely from about 1890. I was able to parlay my $1.00 find into several hundred. Have to think the sticker helped in that regard.

6. Potteryplease

Well done @verybrad! I've never found one of those tiles, but hope springs eternal.

cxgirl, verybrad and komokwa like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've never found anything NA from before WWII as far as I know, never mind a Harvey piece. Sweet!

Potteryplease likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted