French antique clock

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by silvercup, Jan 5, 2018.

1. silvercup

silvercup New Member

image.jpeg I will start by saying that I know this clock isn't worth anything as a well meaning ancestor tried to restore it with gold leaf at some point and another botched up the mechanism.

I'm just interested in its origins (believe it French). Can't see any markings on it anywhere but they may have been covered in the "restoration"

Would anybody know the era of this clock and where it may have been made?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    judy and kyratango like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome silvercup.
    Could you please go back to edit and click on full image so everyone can see your clock? They will need to see more, the back, the movement, don't be shy with pictures, it is all information.
    I don't know much about clocks, but it looks French to me too, and late 19th century. Others will be able to tell you more, especially if you post more photos.

3. silvercup

silvercup New Member

Thanks, I've changed it to full size. This is the only photo I have at the moment but can take more if needed.

4. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

An antique French brass figure clock will have some value despite it's issues. The movement's back plate should be marked. At a glance, looks maybe 1870-80's.

5. silvercup

silvercup New Member

Thank you. With an item like this, would they have been available to buy in England or would they have been bought in France do you think? Just trying to work out its origins in the family.

6. Any Jewelry

Either, French clocks were exported.

judy, kyratango and yourturntoloveit like this.
  7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Where is AF??

judy likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

AF will want to see the back and the movement.

judy likes this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Googling 'french ormolu porcelain mantel clock' pulls up others of this type.

This one, identified as incorporating Sevres porcelain, has a dial very much like yours. Unfortunately, no further info.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  10. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

@afantiques will know. I certainly think it is French myself. If the clock is of great sentimental value to you there are likely people who could correct that finish. Also the movement may be repairable. I think it is a charming clock. Please try to get a picture of the back and the inner movement.

Did the well meaning family member take the movement apart?

11. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Certainly French, much exported to England, and I suspect this one is spelter, not brass or gilt bronze.
    Look or make a scratch under one foot, a silvery coloired scratch means it is spelter, a cheaper zinc alloy. Late 19th C sums it up, the plaques are usually described as Sevres style. More pictures would help. You will need to remove the bell to show the movement fully,
    I do leep a lookout for watch and clock threads but an @ mention helps.

Figtree3, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted