French Antique Steamer Trunks

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Judith Driscoll, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Judith Driscoll

Judith Driscoll New Member

Hey all,

Can you help me price and sell two steamer trunks? I purchased them at an antiques market in France and imported them to the US in the late 80s.

Their dimensions are:
    39 1/2 W x 23D x 13 1/2 H
    and
    31 W x 29 1/2 D x 18 1/2 H

A quick search located a similar trunk with brass reinforced with wooden banding which sold for $1700. on 1st dibs.

The listings info for that trunk IMG_0083.jpg stated:
    • DATE OF MANUFACTURE
      circa 1880
    • CONDITION DETAILS
      Wear consistent with age and use
    • DIMENSIONS
      H 12.6 in. x W 21.26 in. x D 33.47 in.

Attached Files:

2. Judith Driscoll

I uploaded several pics of my trunk so that you could see the condition. Thank you!

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

komokwa likes this.
  4. verybrad

5. Judith Driscoll

I just posted a thank you, which, hopefully will appear soon. If it was lost, know that I appreciate your reply!

komokwa likes this.
  6. Judith Driscoll

A few follow-up questions: 1) Are there ways to clean and restore the canvas that wouldn't damage the trunks or reduce their value as antiques? And 2) are antique values (prices for listed antiques) down as a whole? (I could just hang onto these for now it you think values will bounce back in a recovered economy.)

7. verybrad

You could clean them with a cloth dampened with an oil-soap solution (Not too wet!). Once dry, apply a coat of paste wax.

Prices are down as a whole, though vintage luggage prices are more stable than most. Where you are and how you are selling means everything. I live in a Midwest town, population 150K, surrounded by corn fields. I could not get even half the prices shown at retail for the two trunks above. In Chicago, maybe. In NYC or LA, certainly. Selling in a retail shop will bring better prices than selling on craigslist or facebook. Local auction prices tend to be even less. Ebay prices are a pretty good barometer, as they are an open market and national in scope. Heavier or large items requiring shipping tend to be a bit off-price from prime retail on ebay , as shipping needs to be considered.

Whether or not the market for antiques will improve is an unknown. People do not seems to be collecting like they used to and there is little value in buying vintage these days. People are buying items to decorate with and use. They don't really care whether an item is old or not and are not buying with any thought of holding value or appreciation. This represents a paradigm shift rather than an economic downturn. This has pretty much been going on for over 10 years now. I don't expect it to shift back in any meaningful way in my lifetime.

komokwa likes this.
  8. Judith Driscoll

Thank you so much. That is all excellent information. It resonates with my experience as a former interior designer and sometimes collector. I may just keep my trunks and antique case clock and enjoy them.

Can I also use the paste wax over the wood and leather handles? (I do have leather cleaner and lotions usable for really good equestrian saddles.)

komokwa likes this.
  9. verybrad

Paste wax can be used on the wood, leather, and metal parts as well.

komokwa likes this.
  10. Judith Driscoll

Excellent. Thank you so much!

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted