French Army in New England reproduction type map

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by tyeldom3, Jul 19, 2014.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Didn't know which category this should be in, as it could go in Militaria, or art too, but I will try this category.:)
    Went to an interesting sale yesterday, but that's another long story. This map (?, is that what to call it?) was made by an unknown artist in 1973. He passed away in 1996. The package contained 3 rolls of this map. 1 appears to be the original drawing all done in pencil, on a plastic sheet type of roll. The other 2 are perhaps copies of the original on a thick type of paper that almost reminds me of wallpaper.
    I have so many questions about this, that I don't even know what to ask really :confused:.
    Would anyone have any interest in this sort of thing, being done by an unknown artist? What exactly would I call this?, a map?, a print?, art?
    They measure approximately 29" x 39". Thanks for your time :kiss:
    DSCN1974.JPG DSCN1975.JPG DSCN1976.JPG DSCN1977.JPG DSCN1979.JPG DSCN1980.JPG DSCN1981.JPG

Peter T Davis likes this.
  2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I'd think it could be referred to as either a map or a poster?

tyeldom3 likes this.
  3. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

tyeldom3 likes this.
  4. tyeldom3

Thank you Pat, thank you Messi :)
    Messi, that certainly is germane!! That is his map! He must have donated a copy of it to the Connecticut library before moving to Florida.
    E.G. (Edward) Bagdasarian, Connecticut is where the family moved from.
    So what do I do with them? I have the original here. Would there be any interest in them? I particularly think it is well done, but WDIK?

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I would think that the original was created in anticipation of the Bi-Centennial as a "collectible" item to sell in gift shops at or near historical sites. I'd call him an illustrator more than artist. Kind of odd that one is in the collection of the Conn. State Library, though. Perhaps it was commissioned by the state as part of an historical exhibit (again celebrating the anniversary?)

tyeldom3 likes this.
  6. tyeldom3

Great thoughts Bakers, thank you :cat:
    I'm sorry, I'm not sure how to describe him. He was apparently a man of many talents. I have been over to the house sale now 4 times since yesterday, and his daughters are very nice, and talked a lot about him. He had a lot of different collections. He was also a painter, and had many paintings all around the house. He attended an art school in Connecticut, and I bought a cute little sampler of some of his classmates from 1950, which I probably need help with too, so I'll post another thread about those.
    Thanks everyone for your help.

7. tyeldom3

Just bumping this up for the night crew!:D
    An original, partly reproduced, illustration from an unknown artist/illustrator ....what to do with this? Especially the original one.
    Any thoughts? Thanks again:kiss:

Draft saved Draft deleted