Featured French Boy & Girl Busts

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Josh, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Have a pair of busts, but not sure of the age or material. They stand 12" tall and are 7" wide. Seem to be some type of stone composite. Very heavy the pair weighs 15 pounds.

DSCF0971 - Copy.JPG DSCF0972 - Copy.JPG DSCF0973 - Copy.JPG DSCF0974 - Copy.JPG DSCF0975 - Copy.JPG DSCF0976 - Copy.JPG DSCF0977 - Copy.JPG DSCF0978 - Copy.JPG DSCF0979 - Copy.JPG

Hi2022, judy and Pat P like this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I have no idea, they look quite good.
    Very good photographs.
    Why are they French ?

Hi2022 and judy like this.
  3. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Thanks davey, the only reason I say French is that was what i was told by the person i bought them from.

Hi2022 and judy like this.
  4. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Sorry, no help here. Just a compliment on your taste and photographic skills and a few questions.

Each one 7 1/2 lb? I won't try to guess material, but sounds maybe light for a 12" tall piece. Hollow? Or did you mean 15 lb each.

Have you yet tried cleaning? Or better, waiting for material ID.

What's with her left eye? Damage or dirt?

There is one prolific Italian company with similar quality of such items whose name is refusing to come to mind.

Hi2022 likes this.
  5. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

TheOLdGuy, thanks for the compliment. They do weigh 15 pounds together, they are solid not hollow. I am positive these are made of a stone composite. Just dirt on the left eye and other areas, had not cleaned them up before taking photos and posting. I believe the Italian company you are thinking of is Santini. they did the same using stone composite to make replicas of famous statues an artwork.

Below is a couple of links to other busts similiar to mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vin...655610?hash=item3d00657aba:g:V04AAOSwu4BVyI-v

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Par...231c8a1&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=261999655610

6. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

OK, I can re-imagine the weight.

The eBay ones are quite similar but...... somehow I prefer yours.

I don't think Santini. It might begin with a B, and a longer name. BUT I'm thinking back more than 15 years when I researched it for a friend.

I'll watch this thread.

Hi2022 likes this.
  7. Deray

Deray New Member

Did you ever figure out what they were? I found a pair exactly like them and can't find any info online

Hi2022 likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @Deray . The original poster, @Josh is still an active member here. I tagged just him in hopes it will bring your post to his attention.

Deray, Hi2022 and komokwa like this.
  9. Hi2022

Hi2022 Well-Known Member

DSCF0973 - Copy.JPG-1.jpg What is hier written?

10. Deray

Deray New Member

The ones I have do not have any mark, writing or signature

11. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

I actually still have these, but I have never found any other information about them.

Deray and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted