Featured French chair. Age/style?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Lyeta, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Lyeta

Lyeta New Member

Hi all, I picked up this beautiful chair in The Netherlands. Trying to find more info on the age and type of chair. 20220623_162056_copy_1168x1168.jpg 20220623_162056_copy_1168x1168.jpg 20220623_162105_copy_1184x1184.jpg

Attached Files:

judy, Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The style is Louis XVI with some Biedermeier influence, but it isn't very old.
    Do you know for sure it is French? The style is based on a French style, but they are also made in the Netherlands. My grandmother had these chairs in the 1970s, they were very comfy.

judy, Figtree3 and Lyeta like this.
  3. Lyeta

Lyeta New Member

I'm not sure, that was a response I got somewhere else. It is very comfy indeed!
    So probably from the 70s?

judy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think they meant the style, rather than manufacture.
    The exact age is difficult to say, but it isn't antique. Let's wait for the others.

judy and Lyeta like this.
  5. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Very close to the quintessential "Victorian" rococo or Louis XV or simply French revival, this easy chair is most likely from the first half of the 20th century, and probably made anywhere but in France. It looks nice and it's in great shape, and they are known to be confty. I would think walnut. Has been both the most and least fashionable style in short and unpredictable intervals for a century.

judy, Figtree3 and Lyeta like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I like that type of chair. And that is a pretty one, too.

Lyeta likes this.
  7. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

I agree with all the comments re age, etc but just wanted to add that the French word for a chair like this is a 'bergere' which might / might not be of interest

Lyeta likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted