Featured French Enamel Brooch - Celebrating Our Ancestry Today

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by toomanytocount, Jul 14, 2017.

1. toomanytocount

toomanytocount Boredom is a sin.

This nice brooch is French costume jewelry I think. I love enamel work on metal, of all kinds, and that includes the fine French tradition of enameled decorative items.
    It's rare to find a piece of jewelry decorated this way, but I am not an expert, part of the reason I am posting this brooch which I have owned for a while.

There is no mark. The pierced metal floral base seems to be some kind of white metal that tarnishes slightly. So, the brooch has been buffed and cleaned, measures about 2 inches in diameter. Had a trombone spring clasp, but part of it fell off.

etsysales 029.JPG etsysales 030.JPG etsysales 029.JPG etsysales 032.JPG

Attached Files:

cxgirl, yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is lovely.
    Have you tested the metal to see if it is silver? Maybe the mark was on the part that fell off.:eek:

kyratango, toomanytocount and judy like this.
  3. toomanytocount

I wish it was silver AJ, but the feel and the finish which has a bit of erosion, does not point to silver. I collect a lot of silver jewelry of all types and ages. Familiar with it. Thanks. :happy:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Really lovely! I love enamel too and often buy damaged pieces to repair them :joyful:

Any Jewelry and toomanytocount like this.
  5. toomanytocount

Since you are French Kyra, does this look genuine to you?

6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Genuinely pretty and well made, for French origine I really don't know for sure, :shy: but it has similarities with champlevé enameled bronze decorative pieces from 1880 :)

toomanytocount likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Trombone clasp does very often mean French, as does that pale blue.

toomanytocount likes this.
  8. toomanytocount

Thank you for your reply. That is what I felt, the enamel colors correspond nicely with the French enamel desk set colors, inkwells and stands of 1900 or so. One of my jewelry book say the trombone clasp was in use late 19th. The quality of the brooch is not great, but it is still nice to know where it came from. :happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted