French gentleman's paperwork circa 1947

Discussion in 'Give Aways' started by evelyb30, Jul 27, 2021.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't feel right about selling this, but it needs a home. I went to an estate sale/cleanout and these were just laying there in with piles of old paper. The lady who owned them was this guy's daughter. She died without children and the family are all back in France. There are some work papers and cigarette ration papers from 1947 and even some letters to Grandpa. I've left it all together.

If you're outside the USA it still won't be crazy shipping because I can throw it all in an envelope. So feel free to join in.

DSCF6555.JPG DSCF6556.JPG

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd love those. I've been to Montauban. And I speak French.

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I don't speak French, I know around 12 words.

I've been to France 3 times and flown over it maybe 60 times.

My aunty was French (Jeanette) but she died a Geordie:hilarious:

I've smoked Gauloise and Gitanes but only once :hilarious:

Someone else deserves them.

4. evelyb30

So far all I've got is a Bear interested. If I get more names I'll pull one out of the hat on Saturday. If not I've got an address to dig out.

i need help likes this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It's a really nice collection you're offering, but I'm not a collector of ephemera. I enjoyed seeing it, though. :)

6. evelyb30

I'm mostly an ephemera rescuer. This guy's life didn't deserve to land in the trash.

Any Jewelry, smallaxe and i need help like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

I've a habit of buying ephemera like this from places I've been to. I've a whole annotated album of photos from the very early 1950s of someone's holidays in Catalunya. They went by flying boat from Southampton Water.

bluumz and bercrystal like this.
  8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I like collecting ephemera such as this, I enjoy the peek into "real" life from times ago. But I have no connection to this person or place so I think OBB should best have it. :)

bercrystal likes this.
  9. evelyb30

I'm guessing you're right.

bercrystal likes this.
  10. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I'm with @bluumz. :happy:

If nothing else you can call it a sercy for organizing the Secret Santa every year. ;) :D

bluumz and Ownedbybear like this.
  11. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

I used to feel that way. I have found that if I identify stuff with the owners name, some people doing family research have found items that otherwise would have been lost to them... and they tend to purchase the items. Your helping them, and they are paying you for helping them.

12. evelyb30

It's happened before. Got a pile of papers and photos from one branch of a family to another one once. I had a really great set of proof photos of a lady in a lace wedding gown circa 1936. A distant cousin bought them and also a package of old negatives etc that I sent him more or less for the cost of the shipping. Got the stack all but free in an estate sale. No one wanted them. Said cousin was over the moon; he had zero images from that part of the family.

Speaking of which, I think I have Bear's snail address around somewhere.

13. Ownedbybear

I once reunited a silver christening cup with a direct descendant in Australia, who had nothing of his family.

And bear hugs!

14. evelyb30

Gotta the track things take sometimes.

15. evelyb30

These have made their way to a new home in the UK.

bercrystal and Figtree3 like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

THey have, and the new owner is most grateful.

bercrystal and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted