French Indian bracelet

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by J Dagger, Oct 18, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

7435FC28-5219-46A7-AE72-36E93CA6A091.jpeg 7435FC28-5219-46A7-AE72-36E93CA6A091.jpeg Any value here at all? I assume not much but it was cool enough to cough up a couple bucks for a while back. What’s left of the sticker appears to say made in France. I assume the scene is inspired by India/Pakistan or somewhere close. Mughal? Seems to be kind of old. Not sure when this type of sticker started being used? At least mid 20th I would think, maybe earlier. It’s made of wood although I don’t know what type.

Jivvy and judy like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. J Dagger

i need help likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes it is lacquered papier-maché from Kashmir, NW India.
    The label is probably from the shop. There were French colonies in coastal India in the 17th-18th century, but never in Kashmir.

5. J Dagger

Thanks for the insight. Didn't know anything about the geography of where the French were in India. When do you think this bracelet would be from? My guess was 50's-70's. Figured I probably wouldn't get much more than $20-$25 if that. Am I far off on either as far as you know?

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Mine as well. As to the value, I don't know about prices where you are, but the condition is not very good.:(

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted