Featured French Ormolu cut crystal Jewelry casket

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Beasley Mary, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Beasley Mary

Beasley Mary Active Member

Hello friends! In the non-profit thrift shop where I volunteer, I saw this on the housewares shelf for $8.00 and grabbed it to reprice it! I recognize it as French Ormolu.

I have priced an 1840 French Ormolu Pocket watch casket in the past and sold it before I could put it in the case!

Christie’s describes the cut as wreath cut crystal. I don’t know why!

I can not find a good research page to research the age nor can I find one just like it.

Dimensions:3-1/2” tall.
    4-1/4” wide.
    2-3/4” deep

Can you help me with the age

7D021F3D-414C-4852-9C8C-AE3450011407.jpeg

2182E941-3332-4610-9F35-93026ADB6232.jpeg

9B90E39F-1B4D-48FE-8D8D-7F2042EF2FF9.jpeg

8174BF16-050F-4F20-AFE6-6C5E8C7E8151.jpeg

05FD272D-297B-4AD6-B3EC-7F4A0C08908A.jpeg

7C452C04-D91B-46A2-A3CD-79E995DEA41F.jpeg

5A8CF40C-5F96-43DD-9F38-6CB3388F118C.jpeg

62AAF8D3-2B12-4EF9-91D4-32A65F65A44D.jpeg

Just for grins, here is the 1840’s(?) pocket watch casket I sold for $90.
    FF36A248-DD36-439E-A467-12254DC5D1B4.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The country of origin mark "Made in France" is almost certainly going to make it 20th century.

Debora

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Wow, both are beautiful! :)

antidiem, Christmasjoy and Michael77 like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You don't give size but appears to be a cigarette box. 1960s I'd think. Like this set.

Debora

112318233161_1.jpg

5. Beasley Mary

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Apologies. Of course, you gave size. I just didn't give your post a careful enough reading. Mea culpa.

Debora

7. Beasley Mary

You are not crazy! I added it after you mentioned it. I had the dimensions written down. Just forgot!

Fid, kyratango, antidiem and 4 others like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Oh! Thank you for letting me know. (I thought I'd
    made a mistake which would have been so out of
    character.) ;)

Debora

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Not to be a "downer" but that looks more like pressed glass,nor would I call it French Ormolu (as I would think of it) .I think Deb was spot on with the age. And that watch case(?) is more 1880s than 1840s,and Im astonished you got $90 for it ! But Im just an enthusiast,wait for the more knowledgeable to chime in.

judy, Fid, Any Jewelry and 7 others like this.
  10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I agree with what the others have said. But I am not an expert with this sort of item.

Beasley Mary, judy and i need help like this.
  11. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

It's very pretty, LOVE IT !!! ... Joy. :)

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's the type of accessory that was used in 1960s living rooms with French Provincial furniture.

Debora

Fid, kyratango, Christmasjoy and 4 others like this.
  13. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I would say 8 bucks for this in a charity thrift shop might be a tad on the light side, but not too far off, then again - I'm a cheapo - LOL.

14. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Watch cases tend to sell at higher prices at least partly because they have crossover appeal to watch collectors. $90 doesn't really surprise me although I would have expected it to go a little lower. I agree that your cigarette box does not say ormolu to me. I expect ormolu to be much more ornate. The cigarette box might fetch $30 here in the Midwest. They are still popular accessories and can be repurposed as jewelry caskets. JMHO. Good luck!
    Don

judy, pearlsnblume, Fid and 4 others like this.
  15. Beasley Mary

You all are so wonderful!! So full of experience and knowledge! Thank you!

16. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I think the "made in France" stamp is a good sign and suggests a better vintage piece.

If you google "clear glass France hinged box" and/or "clear glass hinged box france ormolu", you might find your piece. If the glass is chip free, I think a good deal at $8.

I sold a larger version (pretty similar) on Ebay about 5 years ago and did pretty well, also 20th C.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    dgbjwc, Figtree3, judy and 5 others like this.
  17. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I have to agree that the MADE IN FRANCE mark probably means that this is a level up from many of the look-alikes out there. Some of these sell for a rather decent amount, so I'd be cautious about selling it for $8 until you know more about it.

Just for the heck of it, here's a really nice one from Baccarat. (No, I'm not saying the one shown above is Baccarat...) I've even seen some described as "similar to Baccarat" - whether they really are, or not.
    baccarat-french-crystal box.jpg
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-baccarat-french-crystal-1756405476

18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

good point. and for people that also research on French sites another - general - warning. whenever you see a "dlg" before a name in the discription then ALERT. it's the widely used abbreviation for "dans le goût de" "in the manner/taste of".

19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's very pretty!

i need help and Beasley Mary like this.
  20. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

'Ormolu' is a method of gilding involving mercury. Extremely unlikely it was used for this piece.

aaroncab, i need help and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted